to find good workers?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Reauxman, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Kinda long...

I've been working at a catering place p/t as I enjoy the job more than I need the money. I also stay there as I know the owner really has no one besides me that he can rely on.

I usually just go in on real busy days and when no one else can work. I get paid pretty well, but do far more than anyone else there did. He had two employees and then me, himself and his dad, brother and wife to come in and help every now and then. One went t jail for selling weed last month. Since then the other employee kinda slacked off, I think she's on something and no longer has a bad worker to hide behind and make herself look like a good worker. She ran the shop basiclly, answered phone, placed the orders with suppliers, invoiced, etc. I kept the checkbook in line, as I'd been doing that since I began there in May and she just came in August. I don't know that she would be capable of doing the book anyhow.

Anyway, last week I knew that the shop would be in a pickle with just one employee there and I couldn't go in that day until later, so I called a semi retired aunt and had her go in to help. I think it got said employee mad, so now was exposed as a bd worker next to a good one(or at least to me, I couldn't see it when e both were working). I brought it to owner's attention and he said he knew she wasn't a good worker.

Aunt went in Thursday before last. This past Thursday,we had a job that said employee refused to go on as she didn't like the lady at the plant. So I had a cousin come in to cover for her. Friday I needed help, owner was out and I asked cousin to come back. Employee comes in early, was nice, introduced herself to cousin and gets her check. She had got a $300 advance a few days before, so her check was just $200. She then tells me that there better be more coming as she needs more than that. I just said she's have to take it over with owner. Two hours later she comes in, both me and cousin are busy and she grabs something from owners desk. Neither of us sees what it is, so I call owner's secretary who does payroll. She says she shouldn't be getting anything. So I leave it.

Two hours later owner clls, says he is on his way home from a hutning trip and I tell him what went on. Ten mins later I get a call to go back to shop as the locks are being changed. She got in a fight with owner and still expected the other $300 from her check, which she already had got as an advance. She's no loner employed with us.

Is it really this hard to fin good employees? Since I started I've told owner that any time he has jobs, I can get family there that I know will be reliable, hard workers. He asked for a list of names and numbers today.

Guess when you give an inch they want a mile.

2. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Yes.

It is.

No matter how much they are paid.

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

In order to have good employees you need to be actively involved in your own business. This company has two or three employees and the owner has his "secretary" does the payroll? He is off on a hunting trip when there is work to be done? Obviously, he does not take a personal interest in his own business, so how can he expect strangers (employees) to?

It has been my experience having been part of the labor force for more than 40 years is the only way to have good employees is to lead by example and to make sure that when they are there they are doing their job and doing it well. If you cannot be there personally then you better hire a darn good manager to run the shop, and you better pay that manager very well for his time, effort and expertise.

Your boss needs to forget about his hunting trips and show up every day for a while.

donsgal

4. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Said owner is in local government and secretary is the secretary for the local government. She comes in and takes care of payroll every other weekend. I re-read what I wrote and it does sound as if he is never there working. He does work, and did offer to cancel the trip, but I said everything was under controll with the job(and it was, went great).

Employee just fired was said to have resturant experience, but it became obvious quick that she didn't. When he isn't there, I'm in charge, and in the rare times when neither can be, a list is left of what is to be done and no one is left in charge(jailbird and just fired are about equally incapable, that was quickly realized when two orders never got done when she was in charge and alist wasn't left)

5. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

It sounds like YOU are the one keeping his head above water on this one. He's lucky to have you.

donsgal

6. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Yes good help is hard to find .Often they are doing a crappy job for someone that doesnt deserve them just to help that person out. Offer a good job and good wages fire at the first sign of bad work and eventually you will get good help.