To fertalize pastures or not

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by BJ, Dec 20, 2004.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

We want to improve our pastures by overseeding and fertalizing. Do we seed first...then fertalize? Also..we have cattle grazing .... will the fertilizer hurt the cows? Perhaps we should wait to apply until it is supposed to rain so that the granules are dissolved? Or...maybe with 14 cows roaming....we don't need commercial fertilizer at all?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have grass pasture as opposed to a legume mix it will make a huge jump in the growth of the grass with the addition of nitrogen. Fertilizer plants in our area can spray on liquid nitrogen (28%) with the grass seed of your choice mixed with the spray for frost seeding. Late Febuary is the ideal time to do this. Many farmers have this done on their fall planted wheat.
    Applying granuler urea nitrogen which is something like 44% on the surface is easy but the sun dissapates the nitrogen before much can get into the soil.

3. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a soil test done and apply the seed with a grain drill. You can rent one for about $10 per acre, $100 minimum. Apply fertilizer after the seed is up for best results.

I can get powdered fertilizer applied for less than I can buy granular. Plus, the cows don't eat the powdered. I can go get a liquid nitrogen spreader/container to pull behind my truck or utility vehicle. I pay for the nitrogen and there is no charge for the spreader.

For maximum safety and benefit, use temporary fencing to keep the cattle off the newly seeded and fertilized area until the grass is 6" high. It's hard to establish new grass while it's being grazed.

Check with your local feed and seed dealer or your extension agent.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm