To Expect babies... Dec.?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ONThorsegirl, Dec 13, 2005.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Ok, So we accidently put a female who was supposed to be a male in with our males. So now I'm guessing we will have babies, not a big deal. I already had some one e-mailing me looking for meat rabbits! I'm excited, I already have people wanting some and I didn't even have an intent to breed, any ways.

So we put them to gether on November 17th. We should be expecting babies when, soon I'm assuming 32 days would be Dec.18th right, or wrong!

Also will the does change their habits, personallities in anyway before kindling(sp)? My Doe is normal right at her feed everyday I go to feed her, and drinking alot normally right away and tonight she didn't eat any food while I was there, she stayed to the back of the cage and ate her daily greens that I give all of my rabbits. So she was still eatting that but nothing more. Also she normally distroys her cage, the little house I had in there for her to nest is normally upside down, (it is plastic) I took it out as if she ever did have babies earlier, and if they weren't in the box she could tip it up on them, was this a good idea or bad?

Any more advice or things to look for would be great,

Also about heat lamps. Here in Ontario it has been very cold lately. It has been -22 Degrees C for the last 2 days, She is outside but in the barn so it is conciderable warmer still cold enough to freeze the water, the cow in the barn right now really adds to the heat we have. lol but I was wondering should I put a heatlamp in the cage for them, will they get to warm, would this be good, bad? There is a wire top to the cage so I would have to either put it in the cage (last resort as I wouldn't want Rexanne to touch the hot bulb) I can put it on top or to the side of the cage directing in, what do you think? Or would they be fine with out the heat lamp?

Thanks, Melissa
    Sorry about the Questions!

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

She was put in with the boys November 17th? I'd already have a nestbox in there for her, and not a plastic one. Do you have an old, small wooden drawer or something that she can't tip over? You may lose the babies if she puts them in the plastic thing, then tips it over going in & out of it.

December 17th will already be 30 days, and I normally put the nestbox in about day 27 or 28. Give her big handfuls of hay to make the nest with. She'll probably know what to do with it. She'll gather big mouthfuls and carry it into the nestbox.

Rabbits' gestation goes anywhere from 28 to 33 days. I've found that about 24 hours before kindling, the does go off their feed. Keep food in front of her, though, and water.

If you can rig up a heat lamp ABOVE the cage, that should work fine to keep the kits from freezing during your Arctic nights.

So, get ready, and please let us know how it goes! Good luck!

NeHi Mama

3. ONThorsegirl

Ok Thanks for the advice,
    I will find something up for her. and put it in tomorrow night. My cage has a solid floor so she is on straw all the time so I was wondering if she would bother making a nest or use the straw bedding?

I will definitly keep everyone updated. Ok this may be stupid but do rabbits start to bag up, produce milk days before they kindle? I'm used to other types of livestock and that is what you look for but rabbits are new to me?

Thanks, Melissa

4. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

The floor of the cage is solid? How about the walls of the cage? Solid, too? When I had does in cages like that, I'd just put in a whole flake of hay, and they'd make their nest with it.

For convenience (in counting babies and not getting bitten by the mama), I like a nest box, though. (You can take the nest box out of the cage when necessary, like on cold, cold nights, or to count heads, or to clean it.)

Hmmm. . . .bag up. . . . yes, but it's not really noticeable. If she'll allow you to feel along her tummy, you may feel sort of enlarged, "filled-up" mammary glands. But it isn't as noticeable as say, on a goat or a cow - :p

Hope all goes well!

NeHi Mama

5. ONThorsegirl

Ok, Thanks I will try something I like the nest box idea for the same reason you said.
    Ok, Thanks. I have noticed our doe wont even let you touch her belly anymore with out her squirming and trying to get away. The Bucks let you touch their bellies fine but no way with her, could this be another sign that she is pregnant?

Melissa

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Could be...a really good sign is if the doe starts carrying around bedding in her mouth or plucking fur from herself. She's probably going to kindle pretty soon after that. One of mine seems to get REALLY big before she kindles, and I've even been able to feel the kits moving inside her. Very cool, but I really shouldn't have been handling her so close to her delivery.

7. ONThorsegirl

Thanks for the reply's everyone, No babies yet but I will keep everyone informed. She is staying at the back of her pen in the darkest corner alot, she came out to see me and then went back ot her corner. :D I don't know but it kind of sounds promising, hopefully. I will let everyone know. The temperatures aren't as cold now we got 1 foot of snow through the night last night, and today so the temperature dropped, these are perfect days if she decides to Kindle now.

Melissa