To early to treat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by SandraD, Sep 13, 2006.

1. SandraD

SandraD Member

I have a 6 week old Nigerian Dwarf buckling, nursing from his mamma still, who today has started sneezing and whiping his nose on the fence and enclosure and also sounds just a little rattley in his chest. No fever and he is eating fine still. Is this a "wait and see" or a "jump on it now" situation? The books are all vauge and talk mostly about once it turns into pnumonia. I have no newcomers and everyone else is fine. Thank you for any advice you can give.

2. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If it were just sneezing and clear nasal discharge I'd be hands off. But if the infection has gone into the lungs, as indicated by rattling, I would take action and give him some antibiotics.

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I also treat rattles in kids with antibiotics. I don't see any point in taking chances with what could be pneumonia.
    I'm thinking I've used Tylan for rattles. But you could probably use whatever you have that is labeled for pneumonia.
    mary

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Hope your little one recovers.

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

My rule is once it is in the lungs, be aggressive with treatment. Take the little goat's temp so you have a baseline.