To castrate or not to castrate

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by JoAnne in CA, Nov 24, 2004.

1. JoAnne in CA

JoAnne in CA Well-Known Member

We were given two two-month old potbelly cross pigs, a male and a female. They will be the main ingredient for a pig roast in the spring. Do we need to castrate the male for edible meat, and if so, what age is appropriate? Thanks for your help!

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not sure of the age of fertility for potbellies, but for regular pigs, the gilt would definatly be bred by spring. I would castarate, the younger the better.

3. JoAnne in CA

JoAnne in CA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. You're from my former "neck of the woods." I grew up in Sandstone, MN. Sunday felt like MN in the high desert of California. We got 18" of snow! Magical to see that much on the desert landscape.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Lol Joanne, we haven't had a flake this year! (especially since tourist season is over) ;)

I live near Milaca. Casteration isn't that bad a job, but if you are not familiar with it I would find someone with some knowledge to help you.

5. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

I've done some research on potbelly pigs (mostly purebreds, there is not too much info on crosses.) I plan to raise Potbellies, or Potbelly crosses, for meat. Potbellies can breed at an early age, as young as three months if I remember correctly.

I understand they start to fatten up earlier than "meat" hogs do...People that wait too long get real fat pigs with the purebreds...a cross shouldn't be too bad, though.

Let us know how they turn out at slaughter time.

6. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Castarate the male now.
    The longer you wait the harder it is on the pig and you.