To Bottle Feed or Keep Trying?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JAS, Dec 24, 2004.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I have a doe that gave birth to twins in -6 degree weather. She went outside of the barn and had them, then went back in and left them. I did not know she was that close as she was not bagging up. I found them soon after and was able to save one of them (she didn't even lick one of them?). She was a very good mother last time and one of my better does? I tried to milk some colestrium (sp?) that night but was unable to get even a drop. One side of her utter is flabby and kind-of lumpy, the other feels better but is still flabby.

I have been bottle feeding the little buck and keeping him inside as the temperatures have been around -8 to 5 since he was born. I did take him out on a warmer day and the doe seems to know he is hers. He has not sucked her yet but there doesn't seem to be anything to suck?? Should I keep trying or just resign to bottle feeding?

She is mostly Angora and he is half Boer. I might have someone that is interested in a pet bottle goat, as I really do not wish to bottle feed. How much is a week old buckling worth? Thanks.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

he won't survive unless he gets that colostrum. i wish i had some advice to give about how to make the doe make milk. perhaps someone else will be along soon. in the meantime, keep him warm and try him on a baby bottle. i've always used goat milk replacer, but others on here have good luck with other, less expensive forms. anything you can get in him at first, to keep him hydrated, will help. dont force milk into his mouth, as he make aspirate. he may also be slow to learn how to suck, but keep trying and he will eventually get it. then again, many people who are doing commercial goats just kill the bucks at birth, as they mostly have little value. wish i could be more help, but maybe this will keep you going until someone more knowledgable arrives.

3. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Thanks Marvella, I did get some colostrum from a friend so he did get some. The buckling will be a week old tomorrow. He is doing good considering we both are new at this. :) He is hollering at me right now, thinking it is feeding time.

My concern is about the mother providing milk. Since it has been a week and she didn't any to begin with. I did have one of her previous kids in with her up to a few weeks ago. I assumed she had weaned it but maybe that is the problem?

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have an older kid in with her, there is a very good chance that is where the milk is going. You'll likely need to do some separating to find out. Maybe you could put them in separate pens overnight? If the new baby has not nursed, it will not know how, and may not even consider that is where it comes from. That doesn't mean it can't be taught, if you and the mother are patient enough, and if she, in fact, has milk. I wouldn't take anything for granted, though.
    mary

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Mary is right here, most likely you have a bottle baby ;)