TnHermit and anyone else with the knowing

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Farmerwilly2, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

You had tried to start off a thread months ago on furniture building, seems like it kind of fizzled out. I've got a specific question you might be able to answer for me. I'm wanting to make the wife some rocking chairs this year, some for indoors, some out. The outside I can handle with 5/4 stock and straightforward joinery. The specific question in on the indoor ones. Do you have a method for getting the angled holes bored for a spindle backrest? I plan to steam bend the top rail for the backrest, spacing doesn't seem to be too difficult to determine, but figuring and then boring the holes in the seat and the top rail has me stymied. Can you help a fella out?

2. just_sawing

just_sawing Haney Family Sawmill

Build a wooden box that has the foot print of where the legs will touch the ground.
    This box should be as high as the chair is going to set. ow turn the box over and mark the chir bottom out line in the middle. Mark where the holes for the legs are going to be. take a dowel and place it in the top corner edge of the box with the other end where the seat leg is going to be. You now have a mock up that you can measure the two angles making guide blocks for drilling.

3. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I was ready to go but nobody got back to me on when they were ready to go :) GUess they had to much going on

Lots of chairs and designs out there :) Not knowing how many spindles or what your splay is. You can cut some blocks on a compound miter saw at the angles you want for each spindle and use them as a guide for a hand held drill. Or you cab build a table on your drill press so that your seat is at the correct angle down, facing you and tilt the table for the other angle. Not a real clear explanation.
    I have some info for some chairs that I can look up tonight. I have to teaer off my front porch facia and replace today before the rains come tomorrow. So i will check tonight.
    What style are these. Windsor, Just straight plain spindle rocker. As always more info would help:)

http://www.garyweeks.com/designing_rocking_chair.htm

http://www.garyweeks.com/build_rocking_chair.htm

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00070.asp

Just Sawing
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around your concept. Not criticizing but do you have a sketch or pic ?

4. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

I like the idea for the compound blocks as drilling guides. Since I don't know the chair makers terms for the parts I'll do my best to describe. I'm playing with 2 different types of 'back rest slats', either turned or flat. The drilling blocks sound fine for the rounds. I figure for a 5 slat back the middle one is centered (on the seat and the top rail of the backrest) and the 2 on either side of it get spaced evenly. The taller the backrest, the further the distance apart on the top rail. I probably need to pull out my old math books and brush up on my trig to determine the correct angles unless you know an easier way. Seems like it gets more complicated if I want to use flat or rectangular slats. I figure the table you mentioned on the drill press would be a great aid on those, just not sure how I would move the seat blank to have it properly indexed to use the mortising bit. Once again, the first mortise would be straight forward, but then you need to rotate the seat blank to a proper index to make the next plunge.........hmmmmmmm, now I'm thinking. If I build a seat jig, with the properly cut blocks attached, clamp the blank in, then I should be able to cut each mortise with a plunge router and coller. More thought needed.

5. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

If it was me i would do the seat and make the back splats and dry fit them in place and see where they go. if the center one is in the middle you should be able to hold the top up to the height you want and get a pretty good idea where the other two go. Just make them equadistant from the center one. You can also set the seat level and then take a bevel gauge and get the angle of the back both ways. Then just even up the differences. Don't make it harder than it is :) I like math problems but the thing is to build the rockers. Unless your not in a hurry :)