TN regs for raise and butcher

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by cybercat, Mar 29, 2005.

1. cybercat

cybercat prowler of the internet

Hello all,

My DH and I are thinking of moving to TN. Each winter we butcher our own meat. We raise some for friends also and sell them live which they bring back to use to butcher. This is how it is done here to get around usda. There is no charge for the butcher for we include that in the live hog price.

Is this done in TN also? If not can one sell live hogs to people then take it to a butcher? I know some states are real stupid like you can't even give away meat. I am wondering how strict TN is for a family farm trying to get rid of surplus. Since we will be raising our own they will be milk fed since we plan on a couple of jeresys also. I would love to talk to anyone from the state that could give me some more indepth information on homsteading there. Since pigs will be a main thing for us I thought I would ask here.

Thanks
    Tamara

2. royB

royB Active Member

My understanding is basically what you describe -

You can sell the live animal to an individual that can have it processed for themselves. This can actually be more than one person and what you do is take it to the processor and drop it off, the processor cuts it to the "owners" specs, the "owners" pay you for the animal and the processor for the processing. You don't need any license or permit for this. The processor has to be State Inspected and licensed I think.

That is the only way that I know of without USDA and the State being involved.

Roy

3. cybercat

cybercat prowler of the internet

Thank You Roy. I hoped it was the same in TN. I know what I read for VA you can not even do that much.

Thanks again