Title of homesteading book?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DreamingBig, Dec 4, 2004.

1. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

No, but that looks like a good one, thanks! It might be Storey's Basic Country Skills, which has a different drawing that I know I've seen. I have looked through so many books! I want to buy a few now so I need the titles and am trying to figure this out on Amazon, which is a bit frustrating. :confused: Sigh.

Chris

2. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Well now, there is the million $ question! Umm...someplace I can afford! I grew up in New England and would really like to go back, but it's pretty much out of my range now unless I want to be in the very northernmost parts. Not sure I could take the weather after 30 years of no snow! All I know for sure is it won't be in CA. This place is insane in so many ways!! But there are things I'll miss. Where up north are you going, Jan, do you know yet?

Chris

3. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Yea, we own 9 acres in Western Wa. that we want to build on. But, it's really far from everything, which is why DH and I love it, and our kids (13 & 15) have begged us to live closer to a town...any town. DH is also considering a job offer in Oregon, so we may end up there for a while then build on the property after the kids are gone. :rolleyes: So, in a nutshell, we have no idea where we'll end up for the short term but it will be in the Pacific NW if we have anything to say about it.

I don't blame you for wanting to leave CA... I've been here my whole life, except a year I spent in WY going to college, and I can't stand it. I admit that there are somethings that I'll miss as well. Mostly my DD and grandchildren, but I think they will be leaving as well within a year or two anyway. They are sick of the chaos also, and SIL says he doesn't want my grandchildren to grow up here.

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Some of you folks looking for a place to settle down might consider TN. It is basically three states in one in that the western third is Southern, the middle third Mid-western and the eastern third Appalachian. No state income tax and we still have one of the lowest overall tax impacts even with a state sales tax of over 9% on most things. Still an area to live rural within a reasonable computing distance of cities. Nashville has basically a negative unemployment rate in that they have exhausted the talent pool in the local labor market (that is not say it doesn't have an unemployment rate as some people are virtually unemployable). Temperate climate in that we tend not to get the high and low extremes. Fairly generous lottery funded college scholarship program.

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Sounds like "Successful Small Farming" if I remember correctly.

Mike

6. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Some of the Permaculture books have that sea to mountaintop diagram. I just can't remember which ones! Bill Mollison is a prominent author.

7. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

8. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

John Seymour's, "The Self-sufficient Life and How to Live it, The complete Back-To-Basics Guide????

DK Publishing (dk.co), First American Edition, 2003, ISBN 0-7894-9332-2

Is this the one, it is great, well written, lots of info.

Alex