Tital waves and North American threat!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

For all you people living on islands and on the west coast of North America, there is an alert out, for tsnunomies and earthquakes. The major fault that runs along the west coast line can have the same potential for disasater, seems a possible wave could hit the coast in less than 30 minutes! Take care all of you!!!

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Jackie......could you provide a link for the alert?

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................They can travel ....up to 600 mph from the time the event occurs under the ocean . They , can also , be up to ...100 feet in heigth . The waves that hit India and Sumatra were...only...30 feet high from the news accounts so you can Imagine what the devistation would BE on the Pacific coast if a 100 foot high wave was to come rolling in . fordy.. :)

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

5. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I'm deeply sorry for my choice of words. I never ment to be irresponsible. I should have said warning, at least thats what the headline I read said. I just am very concerned, given that the ring of fire could set off more quakes alot closer to home. I'm just sick about what happened in Asian area. I would hate to see it happen here! I have freinds living on islands off the coast of BC and am very concerned for them. Again, my sincerest appologies! Please forgive me for offending anyone.

6. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Oh Jackie.....I guess I came across really mean :eek: Sorry.

I just had a heart stop moment when you said an alert was out.......as I was thinking one was on the way and I have children and grandchildren who would be affected.

Again.......sorry.

Anyone living in that area should be aware of the possiblity of course.....but we all know that. There will be tons of articles about it now as we can see.

(((((0))))) Jackie........was not offended........just startled is all.

7. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

There's a possibility of a tsunami hitting either coast but it has a very small probability but still higher than an asteroid snuffing out all life on earth. If you worry about everything that can "git" you, you'll waste a lot of time worrying about New Madrid, Yellowstone, pandemics, killer bees, flesh eating bacteria. The list is endless. Folks would be better off trying to avoid heart disease, stopping smoking, or becoming better more alert drivers.

A local man who had served in several public offices and was respected in the community made it to 80+ years until he pulled out in front of a truck. The accident was preventable. He screwed up. His wife survived. He didn't. He'll never have to worry about tsunamis.

Somewhere a car or truck has your name on it if your attention lapses or high homocystene or C reactive protein levels in your blood already have you scheduled for an early appointment with the Reaper. Those are things you can do something about. As for tsunamis, don't run down to the beach when the water recedes like most idiots. If you ever see that happen, that's your warning to get as far from the ocean and as high up as you can.

8. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I live on Vancouver Island.Every year some phyhic ''predicts'' thatVancouver Island is going to sink below the waves.Will we have eathquakes?Of course we will.Will there be tida waves-Of course there will.We live on a a fault and eath quakes are inevitable[I remember the one that hit in 64 that devastated parts of Alaska and down the coast]
    But- whatb do I do about it?Hide under the bed?Never go to the beach again?With my luck I would move inland and be killed by a chunk of frozen effluent falling off an airliner-and don't say that couldn't happen either.

9. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Why don't we all just become hermit agoraphobics that live in a cave in the midwest somewhere? Then we'd never have to worry about anything 'scary'. Well, maybe that's not true...there's always the possibility of being eaten by a bear.

I don't understand why people latch onto fear like they do. It's not a good 'feeling', not comforting in any way. Paranioa is the same way. How can you live your life if you are living in fear of what is to come, that 9 times out of 10 will NEVER happen?

The way I see it, if you know where you're going when it's lights out for you, then there ain't nothin to worry about. And if you don't, well perhaps it's time to get your P's and Q's in order so you can get on with the life that's in front of you.

No one gets outta here alive, but you don't HAVE to fear death.

10. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I think the same. I do have extra food and water storage incase of storms, etc. But i believe you live once and should make it worthwhile and not in fear.
    Hubby rides a motorcycle and everyone shakes their head of how unsafe (especially having a family and all), but yet my mom and i were in a car when i was little and the wheel came off and she died. The worry and fear surely must cause health problems.

I think there is a plan/day for each one of us already in the books and it's up to us to live life while were living!

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............I can see already , this is going to turn into a Survival Thread ! :eek: ...fordy... :eek: :)

12. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

well, if anyone has any advice on how to avoid being hit by a frozen chunk of sh*t falling off an airplane,I'd like to know about it.I recall seeing a homeowner pointing to a hole in the roof where such a ''present'' was delivered- and it sure wasn't ''sweet violets'' either.Coulda killed the guy- an awful way to go!!!

13. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................And I thought that the Velocity of Re-entry would literally , BurnUP just about any kind of material known to man. Besides , those SuperSize :eek: chunks of Baby Ruth :p are NOT very Aerodynamic so they should really come apart but I guess that the Carmel holds everything together better than the guys at NASA realized !...fordy.. :)

14. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Live in a cave and don't go outside.

Mike