tit injury

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by spinnDrSandy, Oct 29, 2006.

1. spinnDrSandy

spinnDrSandy Active Member

Our 5 month old Jersey calf is biting her mother's tits and making them sore. Is there any thing that we can do to keep this from happening? Will her mother wean her on her own?

2. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I have goats, not cows, but my advice would be the same either way. Use a lot of Bag Balm, and seperate the calf overnight until the teats have healed. Before reuniting them in the morning, the dam should be milked at least partway.

3. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

Its possible that the cow will wean the calf , but most cows are very maternal and its likey she wont ... at 5 months its safe to say you can wean that calf . I would see to mommas teats .. udder dressing of some sort , and you might be milking her out .. being a jersey until/if you want her to dry up.

Paula
    Hyde Park Farm

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

If the cow's bred back she will wean the calf, but probably not for a while yet. At 5 months I would wean the calf if she's doing that much damage to the udder.

5. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

Yes! Do yourself & the cow both a favor & wean that OX.

6. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I agree with the others. Wean it before it does any long lasting damage to the tits. With the help of whatever udder salve you use, they will heal up quickly.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

7. phantompark

phantompark Well-Known Member

Our Jersey won't wean anything off herself. We weaned her daughter last year at 4 months or so. This spring they got together after 10 months apart and she was nursing again! Mom was standing there letting her. It took 3 of us to get the daughter off mom! Her teats were all scratched up and bite marked. Then the Highlander calves found out they could get snacks from the Jersey. More scratched up teats. Not fun to get them healed when we still are milking.
    We call her Molly the free milk bar. Needless to say the Jersey is in separate pasture from daughter and any calves.
    If you have a good mothering cow, she won't wean her babies herself. Even when she is getting damaged to her teats.

8. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

I have to agree with phantompark. Our Jersey was letting our Angus/Limo cross calf nurse.... Was wondering why the Angus cow was so full all the time, and our Jersey was so touchy. Wasn't drinking enough for us to notice right away til the bite marks, and then she got real hard in the rear from him butting her. So the Angus cow is sold,and being picked up this weekend, then I'm getting another milk cow in her stead. Her yearling heifer is being traded for another Jersey heifer. And the bull calf-actually now a steer, is being weaned! No more beef breeds here for a long while, til we have enough seperate fields!! But in years past we had one calf that I remember gave us fits and kept getting to her Mother and nursing. It was the one time we left a calf on her quite awhile. Now we take them in a weeks time from calving.