Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in looking at the grocery stores sales papers, here behind the Redwood Curtain - the 3 major chain grocery stores loss leaders are getting some grocery prices down. Gold medal white all purpose flour at $1.25 per 5 lb. bag, turkeys are on sale, lots of produce, and other items in preperation for the upcoming holidays. I am glad that I recently acquired a mid sized chest freezer.

It is a good time to buy yeast, flour, frozen turkeys, and canned goods.. Just watch your local grocery store's sales papers..... Walgreen's out here, has voitive candles at 8 for a dollar/ with a limit of 16 on sale with a coupon this week.. A good time to pack some extra things away into the pantry/ prep items, at bargain prices.. I also found some 2 gallon, and 2 and 1/2 gallon sized ziploc style bags on sale, which are perfect for storing at least two maybe three 5 pound bags of flour or sugar.

I'll be watching the sales papers, and catching the bargains as they occur over the next few weeks. I hate to pay full price for anything!!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
This is my favorite time of the year to stock up. I'm planning on getting a few cases of canned pumpkin when it goes on sale...among other things.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Usually by now the turkeys are on sale but in our corner of the world....nothing!! Usually I stock up..some in the freezer, some canned. Every October Wegmans always put whole chickens on sale for 79 cents a pound...this October..this year nothing.

Does anyone else see their turkeys on sale yet...I mean it's only 3 weeks till Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Usually by now the turkeys are on sale but in our corner of the world....nothing!! Usually I stock up..some in the freezer, some canned. Every October Wegmans always put whole chickens on sale for 79 cents a pound...this October..this year nothing.

Does anyone else see their turkeys on sale yet...I mean it's only 3 weeks till Thanksgiving.

Wegmans says they are reducing their price of staples to ease the food budgets of their consumers. I wouldn't be surprised to see that cost made up by not offering traditional seasonal sales.

·
No charge for awesomeness
1,180 Posts
Kroger has had some good 10 for 10 items this week. I bought 5 boxes of SwissMiss hot chocolate mix, and 5 big bottles of pancake/waffle syrup and put them away as preps. While there I found 14 28 ounce cans of Del Fratelli diced tomatos and some in sauce form for 25 cents each, they expire in 2011. I put those away. Pantry is getting full to the top even with me using the older canned good preps on a daily basis. Checked the 4 buckets with wheat, rice, sugar, regular flour, cornmeal and bread flour. They are all in good shape, no bugs, no problems.

I'm kind of a fanatic when it comes to storing my preps. Everything that goes into a prep bucket is wrapped individually. The flour and corn meal stays in the factory wrap, and that then gets put into a heavy mill plastic bag and sealed. The big bags of wheat berries and rice are broken down into smaller heavy duty quart size zip lock freezer bags. These small quart bags are then sealed in the buckets. As I need them, I just pull out an individual quart sized baggie for using/cooking.

I do this to prevent infestations from happening. I had moths and larvae once where all dry goods had to be tossed. It stared in a prepped can of bread crumbs that didn't have a second seal around it. Should an infeststion happen in any of my preps, it will be limited to just one quart baggie instead of all the dry goods stored in a 5 gallon pail with a lid. We go thru too much work, time and money to lose full gallons and full buckets of preps to vermin.

In the 18th century, they didn't throw out the flour. They sieved the larvae and weevils the best they could and used it anyway. It was hard work grinding flour all day, sun up to sun down, by hand between two stone wheels or pounding the grain in a hominy block. That was their family grain mill !! That flour was like gold. The revolutionary soldiers commonly complained about the worms that were cooked in the ship bisquits they were given as rations ......

Ohio Rusty ><>

·
Registered
473 Posts
My great grandmother when we were kids had stuff stored in her closet, her flour and such. She always did baking but my mom never really like us eating any of it when we went to visit. Years later she told us why, there was always bugs in it and Nanny couldn't see them, and she would never let my mom throw out any of her stuff. Oh well, never hurt us at the time. lol

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
I'm with teresab... I've been watching for those sales and so far... these are not "bargains." They're pennies off and screaming headlines, but not bargains.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The turkeys currently on sale here are at Safeway - up to 16 pound Safeway brand frozen turkey @ $5.99. Turkey over 16 pounds are $6.99. I also try to go on the 1st day of a sale. In the meats discount bin, are the left over items from the previous weeks' sale on meats discounted at least 30% over the original marked price. That is how I get most of my meats stored in the freezer..

Since I will be out of town in Detroit for Thanksgiving, today I am oven roasting a 13.5 pound turkey. That works out to 44 cents per pound, and that works for me.... Made the croutons for the stuffing from sourdough bread, obtained at the day old bread store. I want to have leftovers, and to be able to put some away in the freezer..

I place my long term storage dry goods inside at least one layer of ziploc bags. I like the 2 gallon of larger sized bags for bulk storage. One can fit 2 seperate 5 lb. bags of flour or sugar in their original containers inside those larger bags. I also try to freeze my flour before it goes into long term storage, to keep out the critters. Then those bags go into to larger containers. I use glass jars of various sizes for my everyday dry goods such as flour, sugar, beans, cornmeal, etc....

I can't wait to see what comes out on sale at the stores this next Wednesday!!!! Our grocery stores sales run from every Wednesday till the next Tuesday. I need to get some cornmeal, and find it at a good price...

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Y'all have some good prices on turkeys. The lowest I've seen them so far is $1.18 lb. The cheapest one I found was over $20. If the prices don't come way down, we'll have a home grown muscovy on the table this year.

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts

.84 cents at Wally World Teresa.

I don't know if you'll see the good old days of 39, 49, etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Frys has some great deals this week in Arizona.

50 cents a can (buy 10) for evaporated milk. We use it for making mac and cheese, pancakes, gravy. etc. Can't beat that price with a stick.

Swiss miss hot chocolate for 50 cents a box (buy 10)

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
It's canned corn, green bean, and peas week at HEB. 4/$1 I've hit em once... need to load up... I take advantage of every loss leader that I can use...

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's canned corn, green bean, and peas week at HEB. 4/$1 I've hit em once... need to load up... I take advantage of every loss leader that I can use...
I took advantage of THAT particular sale last year. I still have about 9 months worth of those left. LOL!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I was at Kroger yesterday, got the canned milk at .50 each. I had 5 of the coupons for .50 off two cans so all 10 were free since my Kroger doubles. Also stocked up on Stayfree which are 2.00 each when you buy ten and used the 2.00 off 2 coupons.

I went to Wal mart and they had Chef Boyardee on the end cap for .50 a can, not bad at all so got two cases and used all my .35 off 3 coupons. Also i gal jugs of Hawaiian Punch for 1.00, also on end cap.

Have yet to see any Turkey deals yet though. Usually Kroger and Brookshires offer a free Turkey or .19 cent lb. I hope the next weeks sales paper will have some kind of Turkey deal.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts