Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and having received the three catalogs I always order my holiday gifts for delivery the 21st to 25 of December arrived in todays mail and by 2:30 this afternoon I had my shopping done and my tracking numbers for Dec 22nd to 25th delivery.

I so love doing my holiday shopping over the phone in September.

While placing my order with the one service when she jokingly asked if I was a bachelor and I asked back "does it show over the phone?" , she said out of the 126 orders she had processed over the phone today , 107 were single guys getting their shopping out of the way.

She laughed when I told her I had spent almost 20 years cultivating the acceptable image of being a happy hermit totally lost doing holiday shopping and my small circle of family and friends understand I shop via the phone and wish book catalogs and do it early to make sure I don't procrastinate until its too late. :)

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Well, I haven't begun shopping, but a couple of friends and I have booked a space at Manuel's Tavern for a Christmas/holiday gathering.

·
Super Moderator
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were up to me I would do away with all gift giving occasions with the exception of food gifts or cash because folks never seem to give you what you really want unless you do the shopping for your gift yourself and give them detailed instruction on what to get you.

GF and I do our "gift giving" year round as impulse purchases for each other anyway, so we just foget about it at the Yule and our birthdays except for food. Since I was ordering the meat and cheese platters I went ahead and ordered two extra so we have snacks for when we are hiding out from as much of the holiday rush stuff as we can. Gifts between us happen all year long when one of us sees something we like while out at a store together and the other pays for it and say "theres your birthday present, theres your xmas present or theres your Elvis is still alive sighting present" if a birthday or xmas isn't close. :)

Generally the "its the thought that counts" gifts just end up as house clutter until I can quietly toss them out in the trash.

At least with gifts of food or cash, neither clutters up the house with trash gifts and once eaten , the next year you can give the same food gift again if they like it and who in their right mind doesn't like cash money.

Yesterday I ordered the snack platters from the one catalog, smoked hog product from the second and gourmet blend coffees from the third to cover the people I send holiday stuff to and this year I actually got out of it spending $18 less than I did last year as the cheese snack trays I order were priced lower than last year.

GF, her aunt, my mother and I are all forgoing any gift giving among us since we were all planning on giving each other cash so we could all go buy what we wanted for ourselves. Instead we are all going to keep our own cash to do whatever we want and she and I will have homemade pizza at my mother's on the 24th then a baked ham dinner with her aunt on the 25th.

At least this year we won't have to fight 5 hours of holiday traffic driving to her aunt's house since she moved up here last year to be closer to her niece.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
I buy presents throughout the year for my daughter and her family. Just last year, I gave DD an American Pressure cooker (canning size) for her Christmas 2063 present.

Am glad to see I am not the only one who buys presents throughout the year, for events in the (far!) future!

Mon

Reactions: Echoesechos

·
This is my life
3,864 Posts
I started Yesterday LOL I found some steel ammo boxes at Sams so picked them up for DS and when DH saw them let me know he wants some as well. We will be on the look out for good deal from now until the start of Dec. after that we will brave the stores for anything we haven't managed to get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts