Tires

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by steff bugielski, Nov 14, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I have been offered a free 40' trailer in great shape. The only catch it is full of tires. Any ideas on what I can do with all those tires. I could dispose of them but it will cost me $1.50 each. Put your thinking caps on.
    Steff

2. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Offer them to people as potato planters.

3. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Berm's, that's what I'm doing. There's a thread about how to do it...

Stick 'em half way in the ground, tread side down, (like they would be on a car) paint 'em white to make a border around a garden, drive...

There's a plan on how to make a fancy swing by cuttimg it a certain way OR just tie a rope around it.

Google tire crafts

I wonder if they were stacked deep enough, they'd make a back drop for shooting?

Stack 'em, cement over, paint & sell as art work.....

:dance: :dance: :rock:

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Find someone building an earthship and offer to deliver them for $100.00 to cover your gas expense. Should be an earthship forum around somewhere on the net.

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Real trick is how to hide them from local authorities in interum until you either use them or dispose of them. My question is how many tires are there and is number of tires times $1.50 equal to value of the trailer plus cost to move the trailer to your place? I would assume the trailer isnt very valuable if its used to store junk tires. Worst case senerio is you get noticed and are forced to pay to get rid of them. Best case, you figure out how to use them or ditch them before getting hassled.

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Make several compost piles in different locations on your property. Start with one tire and add another until it is almost as tall as you are. You can just flip the top tire onto the ground next to the stack when you need to turn the pile and scrape its compost back into it, then flip the next tire, etc. It's a lot less work than shoveling and your compost tires should last for many seasons (or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first!).

You can also make a play ground for the kids or grandkids. Or how about an obstacle/training course to keep yourself in shape (like the army manuevers where you have to play hopscotch and alternate your feet from 2 tires to one.

Make some garden sculptures. Have a swing in every tree.

7. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Lowlifes? If you think that someone's advice is wrong,why don't you take the time to "educate" instead of name calling?

What you could do with tires...let's see here....

Make a tire swing
    Make tire sandals http://www.hollowtop.com/sandals.htm
    Make outdoor planters(My Grandparents always had those :) )
    Build a retention(sp?) wall

That's the only ideas I have right now....

8. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Wrap them suckers up and drop one off on all the porches in town on Christmas Eve. :)

9. MississippiSlim

MississippiSlim Well-Known Member

I would take a free trailer even if it was full of nuclear waste! :p I never seem to be around for these bargains!

10. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Farmers with silage piles use tires to hold the plastic cover-sheet down. It's probably too late to find someone who would need them this year.

11. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I would phone a recycling depot and see if they would take them or place a couple along the road with a price or "free" and see if people take them. Some people could use them as bumper along a dock. Chris

12. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Pawpa's right, tater planters! Fill the first tire with sawdust and tater eyes. As the plants grow, put on another tire and more sawdust. Keep it damp, keep adding tires. By fall you'll have 5 feet of taters stacked up in each pile. Kick 'em over and you'll have taters to get you through the winter. By the time your neighbors find out about all those taters, they'll be begging you for a few old tires . . . .

13. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Depending on just how many you've got and whether you're looking for a new career or not, Moonshine mentioned flip flops. Check out www.splaff.com as well. I've been wearing a pair that look like their a Pirelli racing tread for about 6 years now. You'd at least have more of a chance of leaving a pair on everyone's porch for Christmas and not having the town throw rotten veggies at you until Easter. :D

14. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

DW says Donate the tires to the National REEF group. They use them to build walls to help control flooding and water damage at the coast.

Kenneth in NC

15. elle

elle Member

Hi,
    you could pick out all of the tires that still have fair to good tread and sell them. put up a sign at the end of your drive maybe 3.00 to 5.00 each and then you will have the money to get rid of the bad ones and maybe a little left over.... around here used tires are sold all of the time it's cheaper then buying new if you have little money left after bills.

16. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

my uncle in alabama uses old car tires on the frount of his bid john deer tractor he's allways going it the woods to collect firewood so if one snags and pops its not costly to replace

17. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Some of my old car tires have ended up at the neighbors on a rock wagon.

18. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Donate them to a race track---Like a gocart track etc. I know around here people are using shreaded up tires in field lines for septic systems--------Got to be some where that takes them and grind them up. I would check with guys that put in septic systems that use them and trace them back to the "shreader". Good Luck. Randy