tired of mowing

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NCDon, Sep 25, 2004.

1. NCDon

NCDon New Member

I have about 60 by 80 feet of grass left in my front yard and am sick of mowing. Most of it is the septic disposal field so some trees are out of the question. We are 2 miles outside city limits on a dead end with no restrictions but do want to keep in mind resale as we hope to move further out in a few years. All suggestions appreciated, nothing to radical for consideration.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Geese? Pastured chickens? Llama?

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Groundcovers.

There's a site, I think called 'Footables", that specializes in groundcovers that can take foot traffic. (Of course, there's all kinds of 'groundcovers' that are too tall to be walked on, too. )

Footables tells you how high they grow, and how much traffic they can take. Some are herbal, a lot are not. There may be something there that you like, and can start sprigging in. Or you could get ideas, and find something similar locally for cheaper.

Once we finish fencing, I'm going to start coverting a lot of mowing area to ground covers. We got to buy this place because the mowing was too much for the 65 year old lady who owned it. Between fencing, livestock, trees and groundcovers, it won't be the reason I move out!

Good luck!
    Meg :)

4. featherbottom

featherbottom Well-Known Member

5. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

If nothing is too radical...move north and you can mow less and
    shovel (snow) more...Ann :)