Tired of advertising? Wanna fight back?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by desdawg, Dec 25, 2004.

1. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I don't know about anyone else but I am tired of being blasted with garbage that I did not request.I received these ideas in an e-mail:
    (1)The three little words are: “Hold On, Please...”
    Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.
    Then when you eventually hear the phone company’s “beep-beep-beep” tone, you know it’s time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.
    These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting.
    (2)Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end? This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a “real” sales person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer !!!
    (3)Junk Mail Help:
    When you get “ads” enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these “ads” with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away.
    When you get those “pre-approved” letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.
    Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 37cents postage “IF” and when they receive them back.
    It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before! the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.
    Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn’t get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back!
    If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn’t on anything you send them.
    You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them 37 cents. The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them. Let’s let them know what it’s like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they’re paying for it...Twice!
    Let’s help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that’s why they need to increase postage costs again. You get the idea !
    If enough people follow these tips, it will work---- The author says:I have been doing this for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

My cousin gives the phone to her three year old when a telemarketer calls. :haha: She says she has picked up the other phone to hear what the person is saying, and they are always saying:"Is your mommy home? Is your mommy home?" :D

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

If you have a wood buring furnace, one way of looking at all that print junk mail is for fuel.

The annoying phone calls don't obligate you to talk with them, or even bother answering beyond a simple hello and a quick hangup. Generally those telemarketers won't bother to phone back when they are hung up on.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

What they obligate you to do is to stop whatever you are doing, walk over to the phone, get irked that it was a stupid telemarketer - again- and then walk back to whatever you are doing, and try to remember where you were. Getting out of focus, and focused back into a task can take quite a bit of time, depending on what you are doing. Say your doing something like balancing your checkbook, numbers fly when someone bugs ya. Maybe you were trying to go to the freaking bathroon, maybe you were enjoying a nice sip of tea, maybe you were into a good book. Maybe you just got sit down after a hard days work. Maybe you missed the end of the movie you have been watching for 2 hours. Maybe the cat had graced you by finally sitting in your lap all sweet like, letting you actually interact with and pet it, and then the stupid phone rings. It'll be another month before than cat sits contently in you lap again (I have a cat like that). *other rambinlings...*

5. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

I've done the return envelope trick many times. I stuff it as full as I can with other ads and junk mail, then send it on it's way.

I never get telemarketer calls anymore. I used to be in the vending machine and payphone business, and still have several payphones. I set one to anwer on the 3rd ring, and use it for one of my home phones. If the caller ID showed anyone I didn't know, I let the payphone modem answer the call. It put a stop to telemarketing calls long ago.

Email spam I report using spamcop. It feels good to get responses from ISPs letting me know the spammers ISP accounts were terminated, or their email relays were shut down.

Bob

6. IBD

IBD Member

Get a telezapper for your phone. It will stop calls made by a computer. My home number is also used for my business so we would get tons of calls from teleamarkers before the zapper was plugged in. The telezapper stopped almost all of the calls. We can handle the few that are dialed by people.

The zapper cost about $40.00. We found one on sale for $14.00. The only downside is the zapper makes a beeping sound when you answer your phone and some people will hang up thinking they connected to a fax machine. So we say hello quickly after picking up the phone. Also, it requires a large watch type battery (~$5.00). The battery does last quite a while. We've used two batteries in about two years.

I wish I had a mail-a-zapper for the junk mail now.

P.S. I don't own stock in the makers of telezapper - it just worked for us.

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Better yet,google "SIT Tone" and record it,put that at the start of your answer machine message.Thats all the zapper does,play the SIT tone.But this way its free,even better :D ,and yes it really works.

As for junk mail,run it thru the shredder,free garden mulch,worms love it too.

BooBoo

8. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

I use my answering machine to screen calls. Only if it's someone I want to talk to do I have to go to the phone and pick it up. Sometimes I get recorded messages, but no biggie. Now that I know about that tracking thing, I won't pick up and hang up in the middle of them!

Sorry about your kitty, gurl. I sure miss my sweet old baby!

9. LittleBelle

LittleBelle Active Member

great tips! I gotta try them. thanks :)

10. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

Missouri has a no call list and it has elimated all telamarketer calls. If we do get a call, we tell them we're on the list and they hang up. We signed up on the net, its been great. I think there is a national list also, or at least they were starting one.

randy

11. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

National do not call registry:

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Most states have them also.

It also helps to state that you are on the No-Call list and that they are subject to a fine for calling you. Then ask to talk to the manager. Works all the time.

12. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

donotcall list does not cover pleas for donations from political parties, charities, the blood bank, polls, and the "I'm not selling you anything, but want to offer you a chance to..." The answering machine screens the calls, and I do not have to move the kitty from my lap unless it sounds urgent.