Tired and Overwelmed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kygardengal, May 25, 2005.

1. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I am wondering how I will make it this year. I am tired and very over-welmed. I work all day and all week as a gardener at a tourist place. I manage all of the landscape as well as a butterfly exhibit. By the time I get home at the end of the day, covered in dirt (which used to thrill me), I am physically tired. I am also in the process of putting in a large garden at my homestead 20 minutes from where I live in town. I have so much to do in a day that I know I will not get most of it done. I am too worn out. This year for the first time, I am not enjoying all the planting. Deer have eaten 1/2 of what I have planted at the farm and I don't have the time or money to do much about it. I have been hauling water since I'm not on county water out there. I am trying to continue sowing for this year but not making much progress. It is just DH and I and I am finding myself wondering why am I bothering with all of this. Tonight in the grocery store I found myself thinking about just filling my freezer with veggies store bought. I am too tired to tell the difference. To those of you that work
    "physically" hard everyday all week, how do you keep going? I like my job but after spending all day working outdoors doing hard work, I'm spent...

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

If you can, take a week or so off from your other place. I know it's gardening season, but if there's any way you can. do it.

You might also want to think about changing jobs, if you can. There really is a limit to what we can do physically, and it sounds like you have your hands full.

And start a piggy bank for geting water on your other place (well, city --- maybe cistern?). I'd open an account at ING or Emigrant Direct because they're paying the highest interest rates right now (3 and 3.25), and make that your savings account for getting water on your place, even if that means a nice big cisterm or rain barrels. There are no minimum accounts at either place --- and, if you set up a direct deposit from your bank to the savings account, it really will add up quickly.

I understand completely what you mean. I'm actually job hunting right now --- I'm hired through the end of the year and was asked to apply for a permanent job --- but uh uh!

Tiny steps. Just take tiny steps right now. And bear in mind, if you're not well enough to do the work, everything will suffer. So first things first, and that means taking care of you right now.

Good luck! I really do understand!

3. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Once, back when I was a fulltime university student and working fulltime, too, I was really getting worn out. A nursing student who hung out a lot where I was slinging hash went nextdoor to the pharmacy and bought me a bottle of megamulti-vitamins and told me to start taking them. I must have been missing some because it really helped me a LOT really quickly. It may not be the answer for you, but then again, it's a cheap experiment.

Is your husband contributing in the homesteading? It can also be a drag when you're homesteading solo when it's supposed to be a duet.

4. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

BTDT, too tired to pick up the t-shirt!

I agree with the multi-vitamins, and along with that try some Coenzyme Q-10. Found out several years ago that it REALLY helps your energy level if you are deficiant in this enzyme! Puritan's Pride has good deals on it often. Whatever you get, get a GOOD quality!

Mon

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

There have been a few years when I decided that 6 tomato plants in the garden were enough of a garden. That I needed to raise no other veggies: I would buy the rest.

Of course, a few weeks later I usually ADDED just a FEW more plants, but even so some years my garden has been tiny.

Yes, I LOVE having a fat row of spuds in my garden, but in the fall potatoes are 25 cents a pound. There is no ECONOMIC benefit from raising some veggies, so on some years I decide that I do not have the energy to get them in. As much as I take pride in having a large garden, I don't HAVE to have it!

The homestead is to serve me, I do not serve the homestead. If that makes sense. If I cut back a little some years, that is a free choice that I have.

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I found that I simply couldn't landscape full time and come home and work on the ground here. My body was just giving out on me. After sitting down with a calculator, our budget, and thinking about my priorities - I quit landscaping. It made no sense to make other people's yards look fantastic when I didn't even have the energy to prune my cherry trees and I was living on handfuls of advil because I HURT.

There is truly only so much physical work one person can do before things start to give out.

In my case, we have a business plan set up for the farm and need the trees to produce if we're going to be able to make it. Which means I need to be able to do the work around here. In your case, if you need to be able to do the landscape job you may need to give up on the garden for this year.

7. OldFarmGal

OldFarmGal Well-Known Member

WOW! Excellent statement! (except for my chickens - I confess I serve them. It is my joy and my pleasure!)

Sometimes we have to step back and look at the big picture. If it's fuzzy or askew, some readjustment needs to be made.

I went to back to school to get my degrees in greenhouse, landscaping and floral design. I quit when I discovered that what I loved doing I could learn to hate when doing it out of necessity. I wanted it always to be a joy to me.

Best of luck to you, Kygardengal!

8. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Wow, I can imagine! I work full time at a desk and get tired. Plus it's so hot now, that is flagging my energy.

A quick deer fix is to make hoops of pvc fit over rebar driven into the ground, with that 7'X100' deer/bird net over it, fastened with those plastic cable ties. I got my front yard started that way before I could afford fence. In fact, my front yard fence is still pvc with net, it works better than you would think.

Can you install cheap drip irrigation, with some garbage cans and more pvc? One trick I use is to try to make things as work free as I can, it takes time and money but pays off in the long run.

Can you make lasagna beds and let them cook for now? Can you buy vegies from a farmer's market or pick your own? Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day, and cut yourself some slack!

hollym

9. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

Thanks all...I used to take vitamins and I don't know why I stopped. I bought more today. I went to work today and told them that I need some "physical" help with some of the projects. Building new beds is laborious and that is most of what I have been doing. My boss loves to just look at an area and say....
    "Let's add a new bed there"......then walk off. I usually take it from there, amend the new bed go on a search around town for plant material, put it in, mulch and maintain. She said she would get a couple of the guides to pitch in.
    They are college students and I hope they are workers. I have to keep this job this year, til I can get ahead financially. I love what I do, it just drains me. I took off for the weekend. DH and I will go out to the farm and evaluate the situation. I realize that I can't do it ALL as long as I am working this hard.
    Thanks to all of you for the advice, it is well taken...

10. kemrefarms

kemrefarms Head Weed Wrangler

I work 12 hour shifts and then go to the gym after work or do something else and everybody wonders, how do you do it? I will tell you a very huge little secret. (that does not work only for me)
    Taking care of yourself on the job goes along way. MY job is very stressful and my days are very structured, around making sure i do a good job and that I am satisfied at the end of the day. which means:
    I take my breaks.
    I dont take everything personally, which leaves me with no emotional hangovers the rest of the day and worn out(everybody has their moments)
    Never do work related stuff at lunch break.
    Drink lots of water(you will be suprized at how dehydrated you can get)
    Eat good meals and snacks
    Never ingest sugar, it will drop me to the ground and make me a first grader the rest of the day, even after NOT getting a buzz
    Power nap on a break if I need to
    I dont drink soda, only water and coffee, maybe 3 cups/12 hours shift.
    Sometimes in the early afternoon I am draggin this cowbutt around and all I have to do is drink a couple of glasses of water and boy, it is like I was plugged into the socket!!!You never think water, but it has worked for me, and you ingesta crappa you feel like crappa....you ingest water, which is light and clear, you feela light and clear. I think you get the picture....try it for a day or two, see how it goes......

11. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Revaluating everything will really help. In a previous business, we learned that we can make all kinds of promises, but NEVER set a date. (Or never set an amount). I think you have to be very careful not to set unrealistic dates for such things as moving out to the land, or get the water, or build the barn. Be patient with yourselves and work to capacity, but not beyond. Will your boss allow you to build beds using the Lasagna Gardening method? That is much easier on the ol bod. Congrats on talking to your boss about getting some help.

I had worked on my farm for nearly five years and came up the drive one day and said, "What in the heck am I doing here?" I knew I was losing ground. I phoned my daughter and to considerably shorten this tale, I now live in the Philly area on 2 suburban acres. I have a few regrets, but overall, I know this was a move made by God. I have since seen here how very much I am needed. I also can"farm" up to my capabilities here without wearing myself out.

Even God told us to take a day off. He's right, you know.

12. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Not sure how you're feeling with the multi vitamins but you might want some extra b vitamins! They really help my mood and attutude improve. I am 50 and somewhere into menopause and the doc said try them for a month and see.... big difference!

Good luck and give yourself a break! Try camping on your property too and enjoy some of the perks of having the farmstead! Also, try planting some things that take care of themselves...like blueberries, rhubarb, asparagus, thinkgs that aren't high maintenance...

Hope you feel better! :p

13. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Bee Pollen is good for energy too.

14. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Also I find the biggest improvement in addition to the multi's is a blend of Omega 3, 6, 9 and then a Lecithin.

15. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

maybe you could find a few other people who would like fresh vegs to help do some of the work for a share in the out come. this would assure yourself good vegs and give them a learning experence as well as some of the friuts of yals labor. Good luck.