Tips/Tricks/Common Sense

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by doc623, Jul 6, 2005.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Is there or has there been a thread that lists gives everyday common or not so common(depends where you are or how you were raised - handed down information) information tips?

For example:
    1. When putting a batter into a vehichle/equipment - that you put the ground wire on last and take it off first to prevent any accidental grounding/burn/flash.
    2. When you work with cement that you can get acid burns from exposure to the cement/concrete.
    3. If you have trouble with your thumb splitting at the edge of the nail due to dry weather in the winter and you have used different hand lotions and etc; that you can help relieve the splitting by undercutting the nail via filing or emory board sanding the edge to relieve the downward pressur from the nail.
    4. That transmission oil is checked with the engine running and the engine oil levels with the engine off.
    5.That you can add potatoes while cooking meat that has been salted to much or is just too salty to neutralize the salt.
    6.That aleo vera is excellent for minor burns and works better if the burned part is first held under cold tap water first and patted dry with a clean paper towel.
    7. That epsomb salts was and stil is used by some as a laxative.
    8. That the flat of a knife blade held against the site of a bee sting maybe just as effective as holding ice on the bite site - not recommended for those who know they are allergic.
    9. That it is a good idea to block the wheels on the opposite when changing a flat tire - in front and behind at the same time and not just one or the other.
    10. That washing your hands using salt instead of soap wil stop the smell of onions.
    11. That vegetable oil will disipate the burning of hot peppers.
    12. That most of the fire from hot peppers comes from the seeds and that part of the plant that separates the internal compartments of the pepper.
    13. That the most effective to get a new handle on a sledge hammer is to start the head into the handle and then turn it over and hit the handle end.
    14. That if you slightly blunt a nail point before driving it that this will help prevent splitting the material(wood) that you are driving the nail into.
    15. That when killing a snake if you only have a shovel or such ;that (if possile)break the back first being a bigger target and then kill the head is more efective and easier than trying to hit it on the head.

I know alot of this information is already known, but possibly not by all.
    I also know that a lot of helpful information has already bing given here; maybe some of the same.
    Ok, I didn't make these up but are just passing them along.
    Some I have tried and have found them to work.
    I"m not making recommendations just passing along information.
    Feel free to add your own tidbits of knowledge/wisdom.
    Feel free to correct me if you have information to the contrary.
    Also feel free to keep your criticisms to your self as this is for ancedotal information.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    This same type info is the first sticky in Shop Talk forum.

3. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Some yes but only mechanical.

4. Bill in Tn

Bill in Tn Active Member

Thanks Doc for taking the time to post this. Lot of good stuff there. As you said, a lot of it is common knowledge but not all. Couple things I had never heard of.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

According to my Father the electronic engineer, the ground wire is used for safety reasons and should be put on first.

Otherwise, the charge may go through you into the ground below you instead of through the ground wire.

Any opinions on this conflicting advice?

6. Cat65

Cat65 Member

Another little tidbit about bee stings, as a kid we always use the green top of an onion from the garden to rub where we were stung and that took the pain away, don't ask me how, I just know it worked.