Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our chickens are in a chicken tractor right now. The permanent coop will be ready in a day or two and our goal is to have them free range. I was thinking about putting them in the new coop for a few days without access to the outside before we let them loose. Good idea, bad idea?

The coop has plenty of space, ventilation, light, etc. So they would be comfortable in it space-wise.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That is the way to go. Let them get acclimated to the new place first. If not you will have some trying to get in the tractor, some roosting on top of the tractor, and some in the new place.
Also, the first couple times you let them out, do it about a hour before they would normally roost for the night.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
yep I am trying to move chickens around before winter and last night I went out way after dark and the young birds just didnt go in they fell asleep all over the runs but none went in the new coop. what a pain in the butt. But sleeping chickens are sure easy to catch and move.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to post an update ... the transition went really well. We brought 6 new Buff Orpingtons home on Thursday (5 months old) so they went straight to the new coop. On Friday we put the young chicks and guineas with them (8 weeks old, the guineas are a few months old). We kept them in the coop until this morning and let them free when the sun came up. They happily free ranged all day, came back to the coop a few times and settled in shortly after 6 PM. :happy2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts