Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother just gave me a box of different kinds of seeds, some packaged and never opened, and some she got off of ebay from folks. The seeds range in age from about four years old to stamped 1989. Is there any hope? There are flower seeds and vegetable seeds, and seeds for plants I don't even know what they are.

Any tips on what to do with them? Is it a waste of time to try to plant them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Back in the 70s I was given seeds for tomatoes from 1935 and they grew. I doubt if many would germinate but some may and all you really can do is try, I would.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Well you could sprinkle a few of each kind on a moistened paper towel,roll it up and place in a ziplock on top of the fridg for a few days and check every couple of days and see if they germinated. If so I would plant them this spring.But without knowing if they will germinate, I would not trust them for my garden unless I knew they would and even then I would probably have some good new seed planted just in case.To big a gamble to start a garden with old seed.It kinda helps if you have a seed store to bless out because you think your seed from them are old and didn't come up.But its mighty bad to have to do that to the person in the mirrow.:eek: IMHO Kidding with ya.kinda, Eddie

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
You could winter sow them. Come spring they will come up in the containers you planted them in if they are any good. If not just reuse the potting soil.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Well you could sprinkle a few of each kind on a moistened paper towel,roll it up and place in a ziplock on top of the fridg for a few days and check every couple of days and see if they germinated. If so I would plant them this spring.But without knowing if they will germinate, I would not trust them for my garden unless I knew they would and even then I would probably have some good new seed planted just in case.To big a gamble to start a garden with old seed.It kinda helps if you have a seed store to bless out because you think your seed from them are old and didn't come up.But its mighty bad to have to do that to the person in the mirrow.:eek: IMHO Kidding with ya.kinda, Eddie

I agree with the ever so brilliant and congenial Eddie Buck on this one.
I want to add... when you are dampening the papertowel.. dampen it with tea.
Tea has the tannic acid or something that helps to soften the outer shell of the seed.
I use chamomile tea when I germinate and when I water seedlings.. it stops damp off.
Let us know...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Vermicompost! We have let our bins dwindle a bit this season, but without a doubt, the seedlings started with a bit of worm castings, or worm tea are noticeably faster emerging.

Good luck with them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts