Tips for removing carpet glued to underlayment

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Selena, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

Took a butt load of time to do an area that was 7' X 8' and it still isn't done. Anyone done this? I'm looking for help.

2. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

I found that cutting it into long strips about 1' wide (max.) with a carpet knife was the easiest way to remove it. The narrower the strip, the easier it is to pull.

When you pull, grab the carpet close to the floor, you get better leverage.

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Oh goodness i hate that stuff! That was one of my first jobs when i was young.Carpet layers helper. Nope not for me.
    Yep only way to remove it that i no of is to cut it into strips.Pull them up.And then use a straight hoe to scrape the padding off the floor that remains.

If your going to be removing a lot of it and/or relaying carpet your self.I would recommend buying a (carpet knife).Not a utility knife.The carpet knife blades are thinner and way sharper.Cut so much better! But they do cost around 20 bucks.Found in the carpet department of most big stores.
    If you do end up using a utility knife pay close attention when buying blades for it.Buy a good blade (Stanley is alright) not cheap ones and notice the thickness of the blades your buying.I noticed two packs of blades i had recently that said heavy duty.But one was way thicker than the other and would not be well suited for cutting carpet.
    Find the thinnest best quality blades you can.It takes a lot less effort to cut with them,and they don't seem to dull as fast.

The wife makes sure she has some butterfly bandages to close my wounds with before she will let me near a utility knife now days.Not a bad practice,ya don't wanta be bleeding all over your new carpet anyway do ya. :D

4. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

My daughter faces this delema also . Who in their right mind would glue a carpet down ?

5. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

There was 2nd carpet over this carpet but it was not glued. The room originally was a three season room. I'm suspecting this carpet was glued down circa 1966-1967 when the house was built. I thought pulling carpet staples was bad but this is worse. The skinny strips make sense though.

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Added a little more to my above post.
    As far as pulling staples goes.For anyone that runs into that.The above mentioned Straight hoe is the way to go there to.Just slide it across the floor and it will scrape them right out of the floor.And just beat the ones around the edges of the walls down with a hammer.

Straight hoe (Sp? hoe correctly?) looks like a hoe you would use in your garden.Except it is straight not bent.