Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hosted Thanksgiving for my extended family this year. The weather was great, and most of the day was spent outside, which was a good thing, as we had about 50 folks. I got to thinking, though--how could I have comfortably entertained all the family indoors if the weather hadn't been fair? Our weekend farmhouse is sparsely furnished (on purpose). Two big rooms up, two down, with a kitchen and dining room off the back, long covered porches at front and back. I had thought about borrowing 6' folding tables with chairs, and by my calculations, could have seated 43 people, spread out amongst all the rooms. But then I thought--my family doesn't really care whether they eat off the table--they're content to hold a sturdy plate in their laps. Maybe it would be better to just set up folding chairs with camp tables or benches scattered about to set their beverage on? That would make for better traffic flow. Another thing I did was to clear the counters of all extra stuff (coffe maker, toaster oven, etc.) to make more room for dishes on the "buffet line." Anyone got any other tips on how to rearrange the house to accomodate a crowd?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I have done it a few ways. One was with tables and benches in the dining room and the other was scattering chairs, tables and benches through out. I think scattering through out worked the best as there was still traffic flow. Things got a little squishy when I seated 60 people around 3 tables in a dining room. The poor child at the end nearest the wall had to crawl under the table to get out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts