Tipping beans yet?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Lynne, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Sitting here cooling off from being outside and thought I'd ramble a little. How do you tip beans? I only tip the stem end, after a friend of mine asked me years ago why I tip both ends when the one end id still edible. Made sense to me so I quit tipping both ends. I use an assembly line approach, beans to the left, grab a handful in left hand and tip with a knife over the scrap bucket in my lap, bowl to the right and I just snap them in half with my right hand. My husband will grab a handful and reorganize them so that the same tips are all on one side, cut the ends off, then cut into pieces over a bowl. When I get the girls to help they need to use a cutting board and do one stringbean at a time.

Can you guess what I'm having for dinner tonight? One of my favorite one pot meals; ham, stringbeans and potatoes :) .

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

when i do beans i leave the tip. it cuts down on the labor and time needed. it wastes less food too. my mother is always a hardcore tipper though, lol.

i may try something different this year. i may can some beans whole minus the stem end just to see what it is like.

3. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    I only trim the stem end off, I think the pointy tip is pretty.

Beans are my favorite vegetable to grow and eat and "play with". If you ever want a real challenge, can the prettiest, most perfect young string beans you can get your hands on, and compete in your county or state fair. I saw a jar of green beans that was so perfectly done, it is my dream to do it as well as that lady. The green beans were all alike, and they were all packed like matchsticks in the jar, perfectly vertical. I don't think I've ever seen an entry so precisely done. And it truly deserved the blue ribbon. She left her tips on, but I think she trimmed the stem end slightly.

Sorry to ramble, but I love beans.

4. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Us too!!! Last night Devon came in with another small bunch of green beans and that along with the ones I picked on Thursday, will make enough for a pot of ham, potatoes and green beans! Mmmmmm that along with fried zuc's and sliced tomatoes is truely a down home garden meal!

God bless you and yours
    Debbie

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I tip the stem end only and I don't snap them to can and freeze them. I had one of those forehead-smacking moments last summer when I realized the beans were the right length to stand up in the jars. Not snapping saves me a lot of hours!

6. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

LOL! When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "What? Is that like cow-tipping?"

I leave the blossom end, just cut off the stem.

But I'm not quite there yet. The vines are moving up the bamboo poles, but I'm yet a few weeks away from flowers and BEANS!!

Pony!

7. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Just the stem ends. And I'd forgotten all ABOUT ham, potatoes & green beans!

NeHi Mama
    (Digging thru the freezer, lookin' for those ham slices.)