Tip on Cleaning Paper Water Filters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I get my water directly from a spring. After heavy rains the grit flushed out of the vein will clog my paper filter in a couple of days. They are not meant to be cleaned and reused, but I do. I put the dirty one in a sock and wash it with a load of laundry, then air dry it. I have been using the same two filters for about two years now. I assume this would work with the more substantial types of filters also.

Ken S. in WC TN

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ken, have you considered placing the pipe at the spring inside one of the perforated corrugated septic drain field pipes that has the "sock" on it? The corrugated pipe needs to buried under sand at the spring.

3. Ken Scharabok

Washing the filters is a lot easier solution.

Ken

4. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

yeah - and if you did use a pipe with a sock on it, you'd end up washing your socks

5. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Ok, Ken, what did I do wrong? I thought I would take your advice since I had 8 used water filters. I put them in a sock, put them in the washer (all 8 filters, no clothes) and added a little bleach. It wasn't very long before my wife & I heard a squealing coming from the washer and she went running to it. I knew there was problems when I heard "Oh no!" Smoke was coming from the washer which we now think was the belt slipping from the filters being too heavy in the washer to push around. Wife is not happy with me, but washer still seems to work.
    I wait a while and then put 4 filters in and let it wash them. All went well until they were done spinning and before they rinsed I thought I would take a look and see how things were going. As soon as I opened the lid to the washer, I knew something was amiss when I saw black all through the washer. "Uh oh!"
    I must have said it too loud as my wife said "What now?!?"
    2 of the filters came out of the socks, and 1 filter pretty much exploded in the sock putting the filtering material all through the washer. I ended up throwing all 4 filters out plus 4 of my good socks got pitched by my wife - "Those are not going to be washed in this washer!"
    Are you using the same filter I am? Filters that are 2 1/2" across and maybe 11" long? The type of filter hooked up to your water pipes to filter things out that has a plastic netting surrounding the filtering stuff?
    I still have 4 filters left but don't want to create any more "problems" at home! ;)
    What did I do wrong?

6. Ken Scharabok

No, I have the paper filters. Not mesh around the filter. I have not tried cleaning one with the mesh in this manner. I washed one this AM, putting it in with a load of t-shirts and jeans, with no problems.

I suspect problem was you were trying to wash the filters by themselves. They would really get banged around by the aggitator. Try one again, in a sock, but with a load of work clothes.

I tried one of the mesh (very low particle size filter) and it stopped up in a couple of days. This it was 5 micro or something. Papers are something like 20 micro.

Ken Scharabok

7. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you looked into spin down filters?

Theyare a vortex that full the dirt to the bottom, with a valve at the bottom for ease of cleaning, come in stainless steel.

Have lost my links for them, sorry.

mrs whodunit

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I abandoned all the filters due to the aggravation of having to change them and the annoyance of the pressure dropping. All the output of the well is now sent first to one of the old 40 gallon steel water tanks that has been modified. Water enters through the side bung and exits at the top where there was a plug installed by the manufacturer. This traps all the grit and sand in the tank and the clean water then goes to the bladder tank. Occasionally, read that as about annually, I open a ball valve that is in the botton bung and let the water pressure expel the collected debris. Works wonderfully.