Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dissolving a bunch of sugar in water and taking it outside and filling the glass feeders got to be a mess.

So I rinsed out two empty 2-liter Pepsi bottles (Coke bottles would also work :) ).

I stuck a label on each bottle just as a reminder on the quantity of sugar and water that a 2-liter bottle will hold. And I drew a line around the top of each bottle at the 8-cup level.

I simply pour 2 cups of sugar in each bottle using a small plastic funnel, and fill with water to the 8-cup line near the top.

Screw the tops on. Give them a quick shake and then roll them back and forth on the kitchen table for about 60 seconds.

It dissolves the sugar and keeps the sticky solution sealed until I'm ready to use it. It also makes taking the solution outside and pouring it into the feeders easier.

Bottle Liquid Light Glass bottle Fluid

Bottle Liquid Fluid Glass bottle Drink

·
Saltine American
7,048 Posts
Thanks for the tip>
I have a terrible ant problem and didn't put my feeders up this year. If I bring sugar home they are so bad, they eat the tires off my truck coming up the driveway! ;)

Reactions: newfieannie

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Or better yet, don't put out sugar water at all, and plant food for hummingbirds.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I thought you had to boil the water/sugar mix, then let it cool.
The tops of our feeders have motes to keep ants out.

·
Premium Member
28,385 Posts
I end up dumping more sugar water than the resident hummingbirds would ever consume. I suppose I can blame the constant supply of flowers for that. Just yesterday there was a hummingbird fussing over my head when I was putting bird seed out next to one of the jewelweed patches. Last week a hummingbird spend half an hour feeding from the various flowers blooming then.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I stopped boiling the water a few years ago, the sugar (cane) I use dissolves quickly.
Thanks for the great idea, I'll make a container next time I buy cola.

·
newfieannie
10,137 Posts
i always store mine in mason jars but this would be easier. i have plenty flowers for them but still use the feeders. what are motes? i have a bunch of earwigs that keep getting in along with the ants. can't figure out how they get in. ~Georgia

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
i always store mine in mason jars but this would be easier. i have plenty flowers for them but still use the feeders. what are motes? i have a bunch of earwigs that keep getting in along with the ants. can't figure out how they get in. ~Georgia

They sell them for about 10 bucks too, my feeder has one built in.
The deep DIY one would be good, depth wise, mine on the feeders dry out quickly.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
We put a bunch of hanging baskets above our porch railings. Nasturtiums and petunias mostly. We have as many hummingbirds as we would if we put out feeders. If you planted some honeysuckles and some rose of Sharon they like those too.

·
newfieannie
10,137 Posts
i have honeysuckle and i must say they go for them also the bee balm. i just like to watch them in the feeder i have by my window. i had more hummingbirds this year for some reason than i ever had.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I do both plants and feeder. I have the feeder recommended by The Black Swamp Bird Observatory. It looks like a flying saucer with a mote in the middle to fill with water. Repelled the ants, but tiny flies still got in the little nectar holes. The hummers love the fuchsias on the front porch and rose of sharon shrubs. Alas, the hummers left a couple of days ago. I really miss them. A female was really friendly and would eat from the feeder when I held it, and she would helicopter in front of my kitchen window, looking at me while I was doing the dishes.

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
Posted 9/13/21 9:34 P.M. CDST

Thanks for the tip>
I have a terrible ant problem and didn't put my feeders up this year. If I bring sugar home they are so bad, they eat the tires off my truck coming up the driveway! ;)
With a tree canopy over my house I had ants invading my humming bird feeders I hang from cup hooks screwed into the upper ledge of the windows so I can watch them feed and feed and bathe by darting from the recess of the window out into a light rain and back to the roost bar 6 tube feeders I have.

To keep the ants from crawling down the hanger hook to the feeders each season when I put the feeders out I mix some ground cinnamon into vasaline to make a paste and paint a inch wide cinnamon grease circle around the hanger hook to keep the ants off the feeders as ants avoid cinnamon.

When I bring the feeders in for winter storage I use a soapy paper towel to clean the paste circle on the window inset siding around the hanger hook and in Spring put a fresh cinnamon paste barrier around the hook.

If ants stat climbing up the vinyl siding to get the feed water that drops on the window ledge from the birds dribbling or the temperature rising as the sun comes up, I just spray a little Raid ant spray on the ledge safely below and away from the feeder and hummingbirds .

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Dissolving a bunch of sugar in water and taking it outside and filling the glass feeders got to be a mess.

So I rinsed out two empty 2-liter Pepsi bottles (Coke bottles would also work :) ).

I stuck a label on each bottle just as a reminder on the quantity of sugar and water that a 2-liter bottle will hold. And I drew a line around the top of each bottle at the 8-cup level.

I simply pour 2 cups of sugar in each bottle using a small plastic funnel, and fill with water to the 8-cup line near the top.

Screw the tops on. Give them a quick shake and then roll them back and forth on the kitchen table for about 60 seconds.

It dissolves the sugar and keeps the sticky solution sealed until I'm ready to use it. It also makes taking the solution outside and pouring it into the feeders easier.

View attachment 99838

View attachment 99839

I put Red Bull in a hummingbird feeder,

I think I just saw one go back in time.

·
Super Moderator
3,461 Posts
With our year round Annas Hummingbirds that live here, we need to put out our feeders during entire Fall and Winter as well. We have had alot of flowers but they are waning and that creates issues for our resident hummers. I do dump some of their sugar water at times but they depend on it here to survive. By Spring, the flowers come again. I always have bird seed out also.

·
Registered
593 Posts
2 cups of sugar and water to the 8-cup mark----That computes to less than four cups of water to a cup of sugar. I thought the proper mix was one to five??????

·
Registered
952 Posts

View attachment 99838

View attachment 99839
That's just silly. Hummingbirds can't read.. :^ )

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 cups of sugar and water to the 8-cup mark----That computes to less than four cups of water to a cup of sugar. I thought the proper mix was one to five??????
1:4 is what I was told and read.

I started out 1:3.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts