TINY tomato seedlings...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Leah IL, May 4, 2006.

1. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I started my tomato plants quite some time ago, end of March, and everything seemed fine, but the growth now has slowed and they are very very small. I'm talking like not even 2 inches. I just put them into bigger pots, will that help or did I screw them up? I know my seedlings were small last year, but I don't remember them being this small. Same deal with my pepper plants, tiny. I haven't used any type of fertilizer at all, maybe something would help them along? Thanks.

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

If they have their first true leaves you should feed them. How were the roots when you transplanted?

3. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

They were fine- last year I didn't feed them at all, what would you suggest? I am trying to go as chemical free as possible.

4. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I use the fish gut juice on all my young seedlings. I do dilute it pretty good though. Then watch them take off.

5. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

What kind of soil did you start them in?

6. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I used a potting mix. Ok, fish guts, you mean fish emulsion?? I'm sure that's what you mean :) That's what I was thinking anyway.

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember you were concerned about them last year, too, Leah. Give them some food (fish emulsion or compost or whatever works for you) and make sure they're not too warm, as that can also slow them down a bit.

But I'll bet your seedlings are just fine, and they'll catch up to anything you can find at the local greenhouse or Home Depot. And YOU started them yourself! :)

Pony!

8. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

ours are always that way. This year was no different. Once you get them in the ground they will take off.. Ours usually take about 2-3 weeks to catch up.

9. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

LOL!!! How the heck did you remember that?! I looked for my old thread from last year but remembered the whole forum got wiped out so I started a new one :) Yes, I admit it, I am paranoid! This year I did 30 tomatoes and 30 pepper plants-hate to put in all this time and then lose plants!!

Thanks, I bought the fish emulsion today and may try diluting it quite a bit and putting it on.

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't worry, I'm not a stalker, just someone who remembers things as they pertain to me. You worried about the size of your tomato plants, and someone (Martin?) told you not to worry that they didn't look as big as the forced, chemically treated plants at the nurseries, and that the plants would catch up in no time.

Since you're from the same zone as me, and I was going through the same thing, I remember it well.

Yeah, I picked up a part-time gig at a local flower farm, and lost a lot of my seedlings because I've been so tired and busy that I forgot to water them. :(

I think it's still early enough to start some more seeds. I hope. ;)

Pony!

11. emulkahi1

emulkahi1 Well-Known Member

This is an old thread (I did a search for fertilizing seedlings, and it came up) but wanted to add a quick comment. Keep in mind that I am also fairly new to gardening (this is my 4th year w/ one, but I find that I've not even scratched the surface when it comes to knowledge...), so I am just repeating what I've been told by someone else. LOL--So take it for what it might be worth :eek:).

Anyway, I was told that, if you put a seedling into an oversized pot, top-growth will slow as it will instead start to work on pushing lots of roots. You mentioned transplanting them into larger pots, so maybe this is contributing to your situation?

Just a thought...I hope that now, a month later, your 'maters have done some big-time growing :eek:)!!

Erin