Tiny Slugs

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by perennial, Sep 3, 2004.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I have been finding tiny slugs in my garden. Is it because I have my hubby put his grass clippings on it? Never noticed them before. They don't seem to be doing damage (yet), as they are small. What should i do?

brural

2. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I have found some itty bitty slugs as well. Since I also find some the size of my fingers, I figure they will grow up and wreak the same havoc. None survive my wrath. Seems to me that if they are there they have to be eating something. KILL 'EM ALL!!! Sorry, but this was a horrible year for us. The slugs got at least half of our tomatoes. I used the dia.... earth (can't spell, too lazy to go read the bag) but it was a wet year and it kept washing away. When it was there tho, no slugs were to be seen. Now if I could just get our kitten to stop eating the cucumbers and hot peppers. :rolleyes: It's always something.

Nomad

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Hey Nomad, I have a cat who loves cukes too! But his absolute fav is cantalope! I have to pick them before they are quite ripe or they have hunks chewed out!

brural, do you have a guinea or duck that can eat the slugs?

4. Thea

Thea New Member

If you put out a small dish of beer - they will go to and drown - am I too cruel? they can eat our crops but I leave mine alone. They don't seem to eat that much :) Hope this helps new member - Thea

http://community.webshots.com/user/letsgarden

5. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

I choose natural methods - beer,DE, and eggshells. Some people use Sluggo :( , I wont. One thing I learned too was to keep all grass around my garden cut short all the time so they dont have places to hid out.

6. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

Salt them at night and find them with a flashlight.
    Ed

7. Fool

Fool Member

Eliminate ALL slugs. I have had a rough year with slugs. I have not yet gotten to the point where I will use chemicals, but I am close. The slugs come out of the wooded areas and attack most plants.

I have tried the "beer in container" method, and this works somewhat, but gets expensive and does not cover a large area. Maybe 10 feet diameter or so.

The method I find most effective is hand picking. Ok, use a trowel if you are squeemish. I walk the perimeter of my lawn and garden a couple mornings a week (especially if it rained the night before) and hand pick as many as I can in an hour or so. So far this year, I estimate I have harvested at least four thousand slugs. I got at least three hundred just this morning.

Also, don't use salt. The only thing more disgusting than a slug is a slug that is disolving, which is what salt does to them. Put a couple of tablespoons of dish soap in a bucket with an couple inches of water. When you drop them in they will not try to climb out and drown pretty quickly. I usually leave them in there several hours before dumping theim in the woods.

I have visions of slugs when I close my eyes. *ugh*

8. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

My son kept wondering why the beer disppeared but he got no slugs...seems one of his cats was a lush and figured out how to get the beer out of the covered container!

PQ

9. Fool

Fool Member

Oh yeah, and skunks like beer too. Especially if they find tasty slugs marinating in the container. My black lab still cannot tell the difference between cats and skunks. He's got a heart of gold, but sometimes is no smarter than a box of rocks. :)

10. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Duck candy!

We've been without ducks for most of this summer, and I see big slugs now which we haven't had for quite some time. Even when we do have ducks, we still have itty-bitty slugs in the garden itself, which can be a problem when you have little seedlings just sprouting up (zip! zip!). I haven't figured out the best way to deal with them -- but when I do have ducks, I just collect up the slugs and toss'em into the ducks' trough.

11. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

12. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I have two methods that have helped.

1. My Dad drove a nail into the end of a dowel long enough to fit my mother. He clipped the head off the nail so that the dowel now had a pointy end. My mom got up pretty early in the morning, went out into her small yard and "flung slugs." She was diligent and kept the population low. Of course, they kept old boards and other junk picked up.

2. I cut the top third of a 2qt soda bottle, and inverted it back in the bottle bottom. Stapled it in a few places. Put in some Sluggo, or beer, then put the bottle down on its side with the edge slightly buried. When it becomes disgustingly full, toss it in the trash. The first time I tried this, I used the regular slug bait, thinking that it wouldn't hurt anything but a slug. Not so; my goofy black std. poodle found one, made short work of it and ended up at the vet to the tune of $150. I now stay to the non-poisonous baits. Garden's Alive has some stuff.

Sandi

13. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Slugs are bad here in wet years. Some time ago when I raised a small flock of guinea fowl, I noticed how much they loved eating slugs and slug larva. The birds didn't do any damage poking around in the garden for pests. Guineas do have other issues being they are partially wild and like to fly, and are NOISY.

14. ibuyginseng

ibuyginseng New Member

Sandi is right about using poison bait. They can kill a dog or cat rapidly. Also the trick with the plastic bottle works great! I use about 50 in our ginseng gardens. Sluggo is perfectly safe, but somewhat expensive (but still cheaper than vet bills). We use over 100 pounds per season here and have eliminated perhaps a zillion slugs.