Tiny homestead question (Funeral plots)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tinknal, Dec 31, 2006.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom passed away last summer. She was creamated and we would like to inter her in the family plot but we have a problem. The plots had originally belonged to my grand dads brothers. They gave them to grand dad, who in turn gave them to my parents when my sister died in the 1950s. We have used 3 of the plots, but now the cemetary is saying that we do not have clear ownership of the plots, and we need to contact the original owners (in this case their heirs). These are people that the family had lost track of for at least 40 years. To compound the problem the original owners had very common names, and the 2 sons we know of (themselves probably deceased) also had common names. Any advice?

2. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

If there is no other choice but to try to make contact, then you should hire a reputable private investigator to try to find these folks. If you want to do the locating by yourself, PM me and I'll give you a few places you can start looking. It's relatively inexpensive to do it yourself, just time consuming.

3. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

PI ? LOL sounds like you need a geneologist!
    Actually if you hang out at some of the resturants in town and talk it up a bit at the liars club(community table) I bet you can find a few who know where they are.Sonds like the cematry is being a pain in the tucus.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Find the nearest common name relative to the prior "owners" and get a Quitclaim deed or Quitclaim bill of sale. Cheap and end of arguement

5. tinknal

Yeah, Minneapolis is a small town, should be no problem......... :hobbyhors

6. tinknal

Thats the problem agmantoo, We can't locate any. There are no other relatives as the parents of the brothers were immigrants.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

As common named people they must have a common name "relative". Any person can give a Quitclaim.

8. tinknal

Good point. I wonder how much proof the cemetary would want. Should be easy to find an "Anderson" in the Twin Cities...........

9. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

It might not be the right thing to do but I would bury the remains in one of her relative's grave sites. Since the remains are cremated they wouldn't have to be buried that deep. I would also inscribe her name on the opposite side of the present occupants headstone, assuming its close family. Nobody really has to know about it except you and your family. However,this might be an ethical dilemma to some people.

10. tinknal

It's no problem to me, and wouldn't have been a problem for her, but I don't think my sisters would go for it.