tiny green vine

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Woodroe, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Woodroe

Woodroe Well-Known Member

I have several raised beds this year. Doing great but for my swiss chard and some lettuce and brocolli is being attacked by a small greenish yellow vine. It seems to appear out of nowhere. Wraps around the plants (which are mostly still small) and tries to choke it out.
    Anyone know what it may be?

2. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Sounds like morning glorys.

3. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

i suppose its a cousin to morning glory--called bind weed. go to missouri conservation site--look up noxious weeds-- think its there

4. Woodroe

Thanks for the replies, it definitely is not morning glory. The vine seems to have no root system and maybe a parasite.

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

What do you mean by no root system?

Bindweed will snap when you try to pull it out. The underground part of the stem is white and usually snaps before you get to roots.

7. Woodroe

I suppose it could be bind weed, does anyone have a remedy for it?

8. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

It is bindweed, by gum it is. Also known as love vine, dodder, and a ton of other names.

Its seeds are very small and black, and it has no true roots (although it has an underground anchor stem) or leaves. It is a noxious parasite, living only off the plant's stem juices. It does not photosynthesise, branch out, harden for winter, or any other common plant function. Its only bodily function is to make more bindweed seeds.

9. Woodroe

Thanks Zealot,
    that is it for sure then. What do you recommend for it?

10. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

A lot of swearing! Bwaaaahaha!

Let me know if you find something that works.

11. ceresone

best organic meyhod i've found is to keep pulling it--dont let it get over inch or two--and pull--and pull--and pull--year after year

12. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

Last month I cut an article out of the paper by a local nursery manager. We have bind weed here and this article was about getting rid of it. He said, usually it takes a mixture of several herbicides just to control it, however, last year he discovered a new product that has worked for him.

It is a Fertilome product called "Weed Free Zone" and it really amazed him!

He grabbed a ready-to-use bottle of this Weed Free Zone and sprayed. Within 10 days the bindweed had pretty much all browned out and was drying up. He figured it would resprout but 90% of it never did! He resprayed a few areas a couple of months later and they disappeared as well.

He said he was careful where he applied the spray, just wetting the foliage of the bindweed and not overdoing it and soaking the soil. This was done around his roses. Later he said he sprayed the concentrated Weed Free Zone over the lawn in a hose-end sprayer and the bind weed was gone in a week.

13. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I know that one way to deal with it is to burn your crop residues, then let the land lie for a year with nothing planted (or, alternatively, with only winter crops planted) and at the end of the year, till and burn again.

14. ceresone

Zealot, did you see the article in the missouri conservationist this month? large pics of what they call "dodder", i'm not sure its the same thing i call "bindweed". does it come up with the first alternate leaves looking "like" morning glory? could be just that i try to eradicate it before it gets to the size shown in the picture.