tiny doeling still won't nurse...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by full sun, Jun 13, 2006.

1. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

I have a little doeling born at about 5 pm yesterday. She was born a few days early. Now she can get up and walk, but she shows no interest in nursing. Her brothers are stronger and nursing. But when I put her to the teat, she shows no interest. I am trying to help, holding the teat, but she will not open her mouth. She shows no interest in the pritchard teat, either. When I put it in her mouth, she has no desire to suck. I try to get it in pretty far back there, too. I have managed to sort of drench her with a few mLs of momma's milk. And even some paste. But she's only had these tiny amounts about 3-4 times so far. I just gave her some just now and she is with momma and her brothers and they are all cuddle together. I guess I will try again in about an hour. I am afraid to tube her. ANd if I do, how much do I put in the tube?

Thanks!
    Jennifer

2. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

When I tube them I give about 4-6 ounces.

I had one kid that I was still tubing after 4 days. Another breeder suggested giving him BoSe and Vitamin B complex. (I just added it to the milk.) It worked. He started sucking like he had been doing it forever.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

A little coffee(1-2 tsp in milk) and a larger hole in the nipple sometimes helps them get the idea....a little molasses on the nippy too

4. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

If you are in a selenium deficient area then yes I would say Bo-Se might be the thing to get her to nurse. No sucking reflex is a common symptom of selenium deficiency....however it would be more effective if it was injected than put in the milk. Since this doeling is "tiny" and premature I would start out with small feeding when you tube her I would start off with tubing her with about 30cc. You can also open the end of a vitiman E capsule and give to her, it will help the Bo-Se be more effective. She really needs to get some colostrum in her it has been awhile since she was born.

5. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

Okay--I went out there with all the stuff to tube her, and there she was looking for a teat. :baby04: SO I helped her on and she nursed away. But of course I am still nervous and have questions...

They all can nurse when I put them over by the teat. I figure it won't be long until they find it on their own. But is going out there every couple of hours to guide them/help them often enough? They have 24/7 access to mom but I am not confident they can find those teats just yet.

The doe has milk in her udder/teats. I have milked them a bit so I know its there. If the babies just nurse for a short time, that's normal? They work pretty hard and I hoping stuff comes out for them. It's safe to assume right?

Mostly the kids just stand there. They can all walk around, they all bleet (or mew) sometimes. But they don't have a lot of energy. And they are sleepy. One's head falls down and he falls asleep while he is standing there. Is that okay? They are so brandnew and were born early. So I don't know if they are normal or if they are lacking something...

Yikes I am such a nervous new mom! I nursed two children myself and was pretty worried right at first...

Jennifer

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Good!

make sure they are pooping and peeing...poop is black at first then turns yellow...(a sign that they are eating/getting nutrition)
    keep them warm/cool as needed....
    I would go every two hours during the day and up to 6hrs overnight so long as they all ate well and looked strong

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Jennifer, it sounds like you are doing a great job. I would give them nutri-drench a couple times a day, it will give them the energy and vits that they really need. If you don't have it then give them 1/3 each of coffee, whiskey and karo syrup, that will give them energy also.
    They do not nurse much at first and being they were a little early they will sleep even more. They do get up when you are not looking to get a snack. Just make sure they are not getting weak. :) Keep up the good work