Tiny bit of blood in milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kathy'sKID, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

After straining my goat's milk this a.m. I found 3 small bits of blood in the filter. Pretty sure it's blood. Is the milk safe to drink? There was nothing unusual in the strip cup. Did not see any external injury. What should I be doing?

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

That really can be fairly common,if the doe recently freshened, her udder could be ingourged, causing tiny capillairies to bleed..even just your pinching a bit while milking,a few specks of blood is not a worry..i have had newly freshened does milk, after sitting in the fridge, show a ring of blood on the bottom of the jar.

3. WindSong Farm

WindSong Farm Member

Hi!

How old is your doe? Is she a first freshener? Did you recently wean her kids? if any of the answers are "yes" it could be nothing to worry about. Sometimes a doe will burst the small capilaries in her udder when it expands really quickly. I had a precocious milker expand so quickly she scarred and there was blood in her milk when that happened. Another thing to watch is if her udder gets really hot and inflamed; that could be a sign of something worse.

If not you may want to get her checked out or at least moniter it and see what happens. I was really freaked out when it happened to me! :)

4. WindSong Farm

WindSong Farm Member

mammawof3; jinx we posted at the same time :)

5. Kathy'sKID

She is a first time freshener and kidded 3 weeks ago. Her kids nurse during the day, are separated at night, and we milk her in the a.m. Been doing this for a week now. Her udder feels warm when full but I wouldn't say 'hot'. I thought warm was normal?

6. WindSong Farm

WindSong Farm Member

If she's a first freshener I bet its just the normal udder expansion. She may have had it before just not noticeable like now. As far as the heat question, yeh the udder is supposed to be warm, body temperature warm, but if its actually hot (a lot warmer than usual) it can be a sign of something else. I'd say just keep an eye on her? :)

7. Kathy'sKID