Tiny Beans

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by shawnadare, Sep 16, 2006.

1. shawnadare

shawnadare Member

I moved in May so hurriedly put out a garden. The green beans had a ton of flowers but the beans were 1/4 inch long and never matured. My lima beans also have a ton of flowers. While they do have pods (not nearly as many as they should), the pods have very small or no beans in them. Any ideas? Location Arkansas Ozarks. Thanks. Preparing for next year! :shrug:

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Don't know which type of beans you planted, but in general this year, the summer was so hot that fruit didn't set for a long time. My vines finally started producing a few weeks ago, but the yield is not as high as what I am used to getting.

If your weather is still above 50 at night, I'd keep 'em growing and see what you get.

Pony!

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I suggest that you get your soil nutrient level tested to see if the beans as lacking something, or if the strange year is the cause of poor development.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Reason for the regular beans not originally producing may have been due to the temperatures at the time they bean to set fruit. Snap beans now should be producing just about anywhere in zones 4-8 and will continue until frost or picking is stopped. If not, something is seriously wrong with the soil.

Lima beans are later by nature. Bush types normally start at 75 days to maturity but I've yet so see any that quick up here. If you've got pods, then there is still hope. I've only been harvesting a pole type for about 2 weeks. A friend has a bush type and also only just starting to get a decent picking in the past several weeks.

Martin