Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I heard that a neighbor of ours had his car stolen. I just talked to his SIL and it seems that a four-wheeler was in the ditch by his house, so he called the police. While the police were there, he decided to take a picture of the vehicle. He went to his garage only to find that his car had been stolen.

I asked her if the keys were in the car and if the garage was locked. Well, everyone (but us) leaves their keys in all of their vehicles either in the unlocked garage or right out in the driveway! So did he!

I've been telling the people out here not to do that for years! Their rebuttal is that they've always done that! Well, guess what, maybe they won't anymore.

We always remove the keys from our vehicles--even our rust bucket of a Ford truck. Heck, I've been known to lock the doors of a vheicle in a locked garage! (That comes from growing up and living in a city.)

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I have lived near Los Angeles, we got in the habit of locking our car doors then back in the '70s. We've lived in so many places that had high crime that we just never leave the keys in the car. Even out here we lock the car and make sure nothing is left that would be tempting to someone. We also have locking gas caps.

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Absolutely I agree Ardie! We lock EVERYTHING all the time --- can't afford not to.... our car is always locked, no matter where we go, and the house is sealed up tight everytime we leave... NO EXCEPTIONS!

our newest neighbors moved in a week ago and left one afternoon (she forgot to lock their back door) and before I knew what was happening, the local neighborhood children (she let her son play with one of the worst ones) had opened her door, gone in and helped themselves to her refridge, drank a bunch of her sodas, ate some food and left a mess for her to clean up .....

I was livid when I found out, but she said she didn't want to start anything with the neighbors so she didn't press charges or even call the police!!! ARGH! BRATS!

I made such a stink standing outside I KNEW exactly who had done what by the looks of guilt on their faces... and I made it very clear that I will NOT HESITATE to call the police if I think someone is up to something! They all looked scared to death!! Regardless of whether it happened to ME or not! I WILL NOT BE A PASSIVE BYSTANDER or VICTIM!

OTOH, we lived in TX for 5 years and NEVER locked doors or windows, cars or put up the bikes, etc... never had anything cept a cell phone stolen (we started locking right after that)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts