Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got every Christmas decoration, believe a lot of them in a timer. I am going to Miami for 10 days and I was told timers produce fire. What you guys think should I keep the timers on or just to forget about it?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I can't imagine why they'd be any more likely to start a fire when you're out of town than when you are at home... and if you had any concerns about them starting a fire when you were home I hope you would stop using them. Unless they are overloaded or faulty I don't see why they would start a fire.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
what' s the wattage/voltage limit of the timer? What is the amount of wattage you are putting through it? if you are under, you are probably good to go....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sounds like the same logic folks use when they unplug the toaster before they leave the house. A timer is no more, or less, likely to cause a fire than any other electrical device in a home. No logic at all to a timer "producing fire". Cristmas decoration fires are typically due to overloaded circuits, overloaded cords and worn or damaged equipment, like frayed cords. No need to worry about a timer.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Use a heavy duty timer.
Yes that is the ticket. Geesh I have even used a timer on a Air Conditioner for Pete's sake. And doing the summer I have three pretty good sized fans on my animals that are on timers, the same ones you buy at any hardware store. Just have to have a heavy duty one that will handle the amount of currant that is all.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put lights in my apple tree and guess what with a timer, 4 months ago and is clicking and doing it work without problems. Thanks for all your advises.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
You still have Christmas lights up?
Well I guess, that just means you don't have to put them up next year.

Lights in apple trees, is this for frost?
Never thought of doing that.................

P.S. had some of our indoor lights on timers for years, as well as outside area lights, never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I'm sure it's happened before, but they are pretty reliable. That said, is your insurance in good order? lol
Have a good vacation!

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Look at the date when this topic started. It was posted before Christmas. :)
LOL, Yeah,
I saw that, but was now talking about apple trees, today?
I assume they are still up?

I have Christmas lights on the perimeter of the porch at "The Place", you know, mood lighting?
Keeps the bugs away from the door and the big porch light.

Truly I have never had a problem with timers, and I use them all the time.

Well, I did have a problem when I plugged in a mercury vapor light as a grow light, had to be a 3000watt.
Cycled that poor little timer about once an hour, basement windows had beams of light coming out.............
Don't use that any more.
Sorta one of those "I wonder what would happen if I....." ideas.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Are the lights in the apple trees to attract 'june bugs'? I guess this would be a way of getting the trees pruned for free. Around here, june bugs will defoliate trees when they're bad... they've killed some of my largest trees thataway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts