Time to think Pollination.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by james dilley, Oct 22, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Its time to think about the 2007 year for pollination and set our goals.Heres mine I want to Attend the O S U bee school,on Queen rearing and then the one on Instramental insemination of queens. If that does happen .Then I want to build to about 400 hives. And start moving them north. With the proper permits of course. The big problem facing bee keepers here in the Valley are lack of good Queens in Dec. and Jan. when we need them. as theres only A few places to buy from that time of year, Other wise if we build up and split we end up with more Africanized bees. So what are your goals for 2007???

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I found out the hard way that it is not good for me to have many hives: I am too likely to get sick when the bees need me.

So, if I split my hives THIS spring, instead of growing the nucs into hives I will sell them. Nucs bring a good price: we shall see.

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

I also would like to attend a queen rearing school this year. After talking to people who have attended either the OSU or the UMN I have elected to go to Marla's if I get the chance.

So far I have raised 15 queens from our survivor stock that have turned out well.
    I would also like to go from our present 55 colonies to 100+ thru spring splits.

:D Al