Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bred my 2 does jul 10th to 2 different bucks. palpitated both of them this morning. The Cal doe seems like she might be pregnant. But the rex, I am not so sure about.
I was told to put the buck and doe in adjoining cages to see if they acted like they were interested in breeding or not. If she was bred before she would not try to atract the buck, and the buck would ignore her.. Is there any thing else I can do to verify pregnacy?

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
offer a bowl of Ice cream with dill pickles on the side

(sorry-- just HAD to do that)

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terry W said:
offer a bowl of Ice cream with dill pickles on the side

(sorry-- just HAD to do that)

:) :) :) :) :rolleyes:

bassketcher

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
You could wait for, um, what's the gestation period of a rabbit?

Sorry, I'm no help either.
This whole thread is a total waste.
I'm sorry, SquashNut. You're always so nice and helpful and we're just being dolts.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I always just wait and see. "So have you got buns in that oven?" I ask them regularly. They never give me an answer... but then they have never let me down either.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MaggieJ said:
I always just wait and see. "So have you got buns in that oven?" I ask them regularly. They never give me an answer... but then they have never let me down either.
Looks like I'll just have to wait it out too. They make palpitation sound easy on all the web sites about rabbits. The next signal that they might be bred is they lay on their sides cause its hard to lay on all those babies. I'll be looking for that.
First time jitters I guess. I made up a spread sheet, for my rabbit expeditures so far and I am in the hole $450. Guess I need to see something for my money.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
turtlehead said:
You could wait for, um, what's the gestation period of a rabbit?

Sorry, I'm no help either.
This whole thread is a total waste.
I'm sorry, SquashNut. You're always so nice and helpful and we're just being dolts.
I'm not a dolt. I'm ignorant.

There's a difference. I think. ;)

I've been following to see if there's any info for her, because I'm gonna hopefully be in that position quite soon. :)

Pony!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
you could through a hand full of straw in and see if they start nest building
i'm not sure how early this behavior shows up but it might give you a clue..
i agree with you palpating seems easy but i havent had any luck
i still try because i think at some point i'll get the hang of it but no luck in almost a year... by the way i have been a massage therapist for 7 years and i thought that since i'm used to rubbing and "palpating" bodies i would be easily able to palpate does..
so much for that big idea...
like maggiej said they never let me down!!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pony said:
So are the two lovebirds showing any romantic inclinations?

Pony!
If your taking about the two rabbits in adjoining cages, no they are not. I think all that buck would get is a cold shoulder.
I have a mini rex doe that was in an adjoing cage with a much larger buck. I didn't want to breed her, but she was quite obviously "in heat". And he was very interested. So this side by side test may have some merit to it.

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
SquashNut said:
If your taking about the two rabbits in adjoining cages, no they are not. I think all that buck would get is a cold shoulder.
I have a mini rex doe that was in an adjoing cage with a much larger buck. I didn't want to breed her, but she was quite obviously "in heat". And he was very interested. So this side by side test may have some merit to it.
I kinda agree with you on that--a doe iIjust got, that did not produce for the previous owner, was very interested in the buck that got placed beside her this morning-- and he was interested in her, as well. I have to check MY calendar to see if I permitted a breeding now, if the kindling date would be AFTER the fair jobs are over for me--

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Terry W said:
I kinda agree with you on that--a doe iIjust got, that did not produce for the previous owner, was very interested in the buck that got placed beside her this morning-- and he was interested in her, as well. I have to check MY calendar to see if I permitted a breeding now, if the kindling date would be AFTER the fair jobs are over for me--
Thats my problem, if she didn't conceive, I will have to hold off rebreeding till late Oct. We calculated we have just enough time to have our 2 does kindle and raise the kits before we have to take off on a trip to California for business.
I noticed my doe was laying on her side this morning, could be she is bred. Waiting.....Waiting.....Waiting..... :) :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts