Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to buy Pumpkins.

if you ask you may get them by the pallet and for almost nothing/cost.

They are a winter squash and last/ store a long time.

1. Raw pumpkin can be fed to poultry, as a supplement to regular feed, during the winter to help maintain egg production, which usually drops off during the winter.
:cute:

Reactions: dehendrick

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 4 chickens and I am pretty sure I could get my hands on some free pumpkins.

How do you feed them it, do you just smash it in their paddock for them to pick at, cut off sections at a time, etc? Also are you just storing them in the garage or something so they don't rot?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I usually cut the pumpkin in half...not always an easy task...and just put both halves in the run. I use pumpkins about the size of bowling balls. The next day there is nothing left but the outer skin. I store mine in an unheated shed.

I have also read that pumpkin seed are a good worm preventative, but I can't remember what it is in the shell that is the "active" ingredient.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
A sharp machete makes quick work of halving even a large pumpkin.
Less effort to toss it at the ground.

Really though all you got to do is open it slightly and they will finish the Job.

Had a watermelon outside developed a soft spot, they hollowed it out, leaving nothing but the out side rind!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well after dinner at my in-laws on Friday they gave me 2 pumpkins and a bale of straw from their Halloween decorations. I gave the chickens one of the pumpkins and they seem to really like it! The bale of straw will prolly get thrown in their coop or used as a windbreak!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My muscovies have been eating our jack-o-lanterns out front. Every time I see them they have pumpkin on their beaks. Adorable. I didn't think to stock pile them for winter - thanks! I live near several pumpkin farms :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts