Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend fall weather will truly arrive in my little piece of the earth. The temperature prediction for the city shows low 40's overnight after a couple days of rain. Friday is the last day with warm, partly dry weather.

Cooler temps are not tolerated by many of my plants that have been flourishing this summer. I had to make myself a list so I can try to remember to bring all the tropicals indoors before the weather gets too cold. I need to clean up a section of the basement and clear off the shelf where seed starting stuff was left and ignored since spring brought it's warm temps.

The orchids will be moving back into the bathroom later this week. I need to get new drip pans to put under the pots. I like using wire baskets with coir liners for orchids but things get messy when watering the plants. Right now a Kangaroo fern and one I cannot remember the name of are in the bathroom. There are 3 plants coming inside and only 2 hooks. Something will have to be moved to another spot.

And I just remembered the croton plant is setting right outside the basement door. It needs to come inside too.

I might have to pare back the mandevilla collection. Right now I have 1 white, 4 red and several pink flowered plants with not enough room for all unless I put up more hooks in the basement. Some of the pinks are ones I started from seed a few years ago. I finally got around to putting them in larger pots this year. I hate to leave them out to freeze and paring down the collection will be difficult.

It will be a couple more weeks before the hardier plants have to be moved. One of the citrus trees has flower buds showing and the lime tree has several fruits. I just fertilized them with fish fertilizer and they stink a bit. The smell will fade in a couple days. Maybe it will keep squirrels out for a while.

I need to repot the hoya before bringing it inside. I would like to trim the vines back and root some cuttings from it. I originally bought this as a barely rooted cutting from an older gentleman at a swap meet. I had held off on making cuttings to sell because I didn't want to compete with him but I haven't seen him since that spring. If I start cuttings this fall they will be well rooted by spring and I can try selling some.

·
Premium Member
28,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got ONE plant brought inside yesterday, then remembered about 5 more. The one that came inside was a starfruit tree I started from seed in early spring. It needed a bigger pot so I got it planted, watered and brought inside. Only about 100 plants left to move now.

I got the calla bulbs that I had taken out of a broken pot last week, washed off and set to dry a bit. They'll need to be planted before being moved inside but not watered. Callas do better for me if they are left in the pots instead of storing just the bulbs.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,469 Posts
Gah, I'm not looking forward to cold weather. I took my poinsettia plant in already. My herbs I don't hold out much hope for indoors as they always dry out. I'm thinking of rigging up a setup with plastic all around them to help with humidity but haven't researched anything yet.

·
Premium Member
28,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indoor plants need to be watered more often. I try to keep them where it is more humid like the bathroom and the basement. Last year I got a little cool mist humidifier which seemed to help a lot. Trays of water setting around supposedly help keep the plants from drying out so fast but I just don't see where that is better than the humidifier.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,469 Posts
My rosemary did okay but thyme, forget it. I had the same idea to bring it to our bathroom. We each shower once a day so I thought it would help but it was doing okay for a bit then kicked the bucket. I didn't bring my oregano to the bathroom but it kicked off too. I will try harder for this year because tending plants in the dead of winter is a little balm for the soul.

·
Premium Member
28,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have thyme in pots in the yard. Some have been alive for several years. It always dies in my house too.

I brought the Ti plant in yesterday along with some caladium and calla bulbs. The Ti plant was eaten by a rabbit about a month ago but is now showing signs of new growth. I washed the bulbs and laid them on a shelf under the grow lights so they can finish curing. Only a few still had live leaves attached.

There are more bulbs to dig, more pots to dump, plants that need repotting and so much still to do. I have been up since 4:30 but it was still too dark to work outside at 7:30. I'll read a few more posts then get out there and start working on it all again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts