Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
20,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, just doing a reality check here, because I'm not sure if I should intervene or just let Mother Nature do her thing.

Have a doe, bred on the 12th of December. Put the nest box in last week Wednesday, found bright red blood spots in the cage on Saturday, nothing since.

Now I'm remembering what happened with that pretty little brown bunny I had last year, who had a big kit blocking the exit, but I didn't find out until she died. Don't want to put another doe through that, but don't want to jump the gun, either.

Any help, suggestions, encouragement, etc, much appreciated.

THANKS!

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
I lost AuraLee to dystocia last year, too. I'd get someone to restrain her and check for a stuck kit. I think the choices boil down to 1.) letting nature take it's course. 2.) doing your own palpation and giving as much help as you can. 3.) taking her to a vet. 4.) assuming the worst and putting her down.

I'd avoid #4 until I was SURE that she was in severe distress that I couldn't alleviate.

For my own rabbits, as livestock, none would be taking a trip to the vet. I'd do what I could or put them down. A vet bill beyond the value of the rabbit that would likely result in a doe that was not breedable would not be alivestock expense I could justify.

I wish you the best of luck Pony.
Meg

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
How comfortable is she with being handled? If she doesn't mind it much and it wouldn't freak her out, I would at least take her out of the cage and examine her. If you had seen the blood last night I would say to give it time, she might be in the process and that would be enough to spook her. But after a couple days I would expect her to have finished the process. Does she seem to be straining at all?

I wouldn't put her as late yet though, unless the line tends to be very early. How was she eating when you noticed the blood? Has she backed off since then? Any chance the blood could have been from something like a broken toenail?

Kayleigh

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I've seen blood on does the day before they kindle and every thing has been fine. I wouldn't worry yet.

·
STILL not Alice
20,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I saw the blood Saturday morning, and had hoped to have kits by Sunday the latest. Ah, me! Putting expectations on a pregnant doe is just an exercise in futility!

I'd put her down before taking her to the vet. No sense in throwing good money after bad when it comes to livestock. If she's in unrelievable distress, then it's much the better idea to take her out quickly. I don't suppose the carcass would be something I could utilize, even as dog food?

As soon as Nick is done with his current project, I'll ask him to help me handle her, see if I can get a look at what's going on.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again! You bunny board folk ROCK!!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I don't have much to add to what has already been said, Pony, but don't let your little brown doe's sad demise spook you. Chances are this doe will kindle soon and everything will be fine.

A little extra calcium for her right now may help. If you have any, a fruit flavoured TUMS (I've heard they prefer berry flavoured) is an easy and safe way to provide it. I haven't tried this myself, but in the Natural Remedies sticky thread there is an account of its use.

Hope we hear good news from you soon!

Edited to add: I just did a cut and paste for you, Pony, to save you time. The opening remarks were mine.

For does with kindling complications, try calcium

I can't take any credit for this idea but it's such a good one that I wanted to add it here before it gets forgotten. Beaniemom had a doe in extreme distress during kindling and SquashNut suggested giving her something with calcium in it - yogourt or half a Tums.

"She looked really really bad," Beaniemom reported. "Panting and drooling and major tremors. I figured I would try the calcium and see if it helped at all. Since she looked like she was going down, you know? So I crushed one tablet with Pedialyte and basically shoved it down her throat. She seemed better about an hour later, so I went and fed and watered (slowly, since I managed to slice my foot open on one of the dogs bones) When I came back in she seemed better, no more panting and drooling at least. She started passing the kits about 10pm, passed 8 dead ones. They don't look abnormally big or anything, so I bet one got stuck and the rest died in the canal. She seems out of the woods now, just tired."

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I would use her as dog food, no problem.
Hope it doesn't come to that though.

·
STILL not Alice
20,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, it doesn't look like she's dog food - yet. ;)

Went out to grab her from the cage, and noticed that Wanda (daughter of the late Rita, whose cage is next to Lina's) had white fur in her cage. Wanda is black; Lina (her niece) is white.

Wanda was also sort of guarding the mutual side of the cage.

Then I saw it, as plain as day: Lina has a goodly sized snip in her ear. It's scabbed over, but it's obviously been bitten.

Wanda Wigglenose is now Wanda the Witch, and will have her cage moved away from Lina; hopefully, Ah-nold and Kiwi won't take any guff from the cranky snot.

MaggieJ, thanks for the reminder about the calcium tabs. Have some fruit flavored Tums for them, and I'll just bop on out there and give her one or two.

Thanks again for the input, everyone!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts