Time for Victory Gardens again?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by WAB, Dec 19, 2004.

1. WAB

WAB Well-Known Member

2. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

sounds like they want to sell some high priced seeds. kinda turns me off.

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I thought we were going to talk about the pbs show. Oh, how I miss the original version of it.

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Well, I just looked at the website...
    Isn't most of the fun of ordering seeds the joy that comes from choosing your own varieties. Why do they want to take that away from me and force me to buy celery and coriander? Does celery even grow in Alabama?

5. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Yes it is time for Victory gardening again. With the price of gas going up, the price of produce will be just about out of sight next year. Those trucks from Calif. Etc will boost the price way up.
    The Co. in the link is just so out of line I would not even conceder them.
    John#4

6. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Also plant a lot of extra. With this crazy weather if it all comes in, learn to dehydrate. You can use this in soups, stews etc. and save your self some money.
    John#4

7. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

Actually, they are not expensive. Less then $1.20 per packet. Yes, a lot of stuff that you might not normally consider growing but that's how those kits came in WW2. They had the best basic varieties available at the time and which would do well under a variety of conditions. Considerably cheaper then, of course, but not only about the same mix but some of those exact same varieties. I don't remember if there were regional kits but I recall eating a lot of strange things that we'd never heard of before. Since we had the ground, virtually everything was planted and then we figured out how to use them!

And yes, that celery would not only grow in Alabama but will also grow well in Zone 4. Just needs an early start because of slow germination. But it's better used as a cutting celery rather than for stalks.

Martin

8. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

For gardening, I don't usually want kits as I'd rather be more selective. I certainly do like the concept of "victory gardens." I also like the whole idea of buying as much as possible locally.

A very good book on the whole subject is This Organic Life by Joan Dye Gussow. When you see what a winter strawberry costs, you'll understand.