Time For A Change

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Jul 27, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Because of the drought my Garden was a bust.

Well were it is at was the only place I had any dirt.Problem is its next to my neighbors and his trees are getting too big to let light to my Garden.

So what I'm thinking is go with raised beds in front of the House where there is plenty of Sun,use dirt out of my present Garden to fill my Beds.

Now I have a Asparagus Bed in my present Garden.Do you think I should move it to Raised Bed too?

Would 8 inch wide lumber be deep enough?

Instead of Soaker Hose I was thinking Small Plastic Pipe to water it with.Jus drill small holes along it.

I'm going with the Square Foot method of spacing.

big rockpile

2. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

This is only my second year using raised beds and all the beds are not completed yet. I filled it with soil from the garden, manure and sand the first year and topped off with manure the second year. I did put in a drip line this year (left over from a job), and am glad that I did, even with mulch it dries out fairly quick. As far as the asparagus beds, I left them where they were and treat them like a flower beds. They are edged and mulched and in the middle of the yard now. The foliage is nice: funny how the landscape changes through the years - huh?

3. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

Sorry about your garden. Sounds like a good plan for the raised beds. As for how deep to make the boxes, what will be underneath them? If you really don't have any dirt there (planting on bedrock? LOL) then you might make them deeper than 8 inches if you can.

Drip irrigation is a good idea. But I personally wouldn't go to the trouble of drilling holes in pipe. You can get a 50 foot roll of 1/4 inch drip line with built-in emitters for about $10.

As for the asparagus, do you want to move it? Is it growing alright where it is?

And square foot gardening doesn't put any actual dirt in the beds (isn't it peat, vermiculite, and compost?), so I take it you're thinking of a modified version?

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

As for whats going to be underneath them there is dirt just so many rocks it would be a real pain to work it up.

Just have to do some checking around as to the watering system.

As far as Square Foot I'm just going by their spacing on Seed.Did this years ago and it worked just fine.

The Asparagus I'm going to go ahead and take care of the Bed I have,but before long the brush is going to take over back there.I think I will just start another Bed,I do like eating it.

big rockpile

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

A lot of my beds are only two landscape timbers high and that's not more than 8" and they do fine.

If you run out of dirt, you could lasagna for next year.

Sorry about your drought, I have been watering like mad and am still not seeing as much as usual.

My dad did that thing with the pvc, it's pretty slick, but he can only turn on a quarter of it at a time or the pressure isn't good. I just used soaker hose this year, it went almost to the end of a 50' length without losing momentum; but I'm having to use the sprinklers some too, since it's so dry.

Good luck!

hollym