Tillers.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by james dilley, Aug 23, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I Am in need of A tiller. And Am thinking about A Mantis tiller. Any thoughts Good or bad, Or should I just go with A full size one. Tell me what you think?? Anyone know the price of A Mantis.?

2. BigBoy

BigBoy No attitude here...

A Mantis is only good for loose pretilled dirt. It will not till up new dirt.
    I would suggest finding an old TroyBilt that can be used forever. A 15-20 year old 5 hp can usually be had for $300-$500 around here. The reason I say get an older one is that MTD bought the company a few years ago and the new ones aren't nearly as good as the older ones.
    Good Luck!

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Full sized tiller is the only way to go if you need to work up a big garden.

The little fellers are ok for weeding already worked ground between rows & the like.

You didn't really tell us your needs, so hard to help you.

--->Paul

4. 1_gunner

1_gunner Active Member

I bought an 1974 Ariens Rocket 7hp rear tine for $250. 4 foward speed, 2 reverse, handle rotates left and right with the pull of a lever. Great tiller and all the parts still available from the Ariens dealer. I also have a troy-built "tuffy" rear tine for smaller jobs. The tuffy is one of the older ones that was made by Troy not the newer CRT's made by MTD. The big tiller takes a lot less out of me when tilling because it is heavy and tends to buck and runaway less than the little tiller. I say go with a bigger tiller.

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I talked to the Preacher Today, And he has Several Tillers for sale. I am going to look at them in the A M. Theres one needs A motor. I can get A new engine for 250.00bucks. So I will see what happens tomorrow..