tiller throttle cable question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by duke3522, Mar 21, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

My circa 1992 troy-bilt pony has a bad throttle cable, and we don't have any parts places around here. But it is a B&S engine. Do you think I can just use a generic throttle cable that is available from Lowe's, or will I have to go and find one just for my troy-bilt. The strange thing about it is that the cable does not run straight to the carb, but runs to a slider switch of some sort under the gas tank. And then the card has lever that controls the butterfly valve in the carb. Any info anyone can provide is appreciated. I have always had trouble working on throttle cables.

Duke

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Any cable will work if it is the right length, get a longer one, make adjustments, reinstall it. Your car will run on any brand of gasoline won't it? Same for the cable.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

That lever is external part of the governor built into the engine. The governor makes lots of small adjustments to throttle on carb to keep constant engine speed under varying loads on engine. Your "throttle" cable actually just sets the speed you want the governor to maintain.

4. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, just one question that I am so embarrassed to ask. Just how do you adjust a throttle cable? My best guess is that I put the throttle control in fast position. Attach the cable to the Throttle control. Then I put the slider lever in fast position, which I guess is all the way forward, and then tighten down the cable with the screw on clamp right behind the slider lever. Sorry, but I have always been clueless when it comes to throttle cables. Just one of my blind spots I guess.

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

You can put a different throttle cable on but you'll have to do a little adjusting to get it right if the cable isn't the same length.

I'm going through this right now with a Dr. Field Mower. I picked it up cheap because it wouldn't run...it would sort of start but then die. I played around with it a bit and concluded that it was flooding. The woman selling it said that the end of the cable had broke and they re-attached it...well, that made it clear to me what was going on. I told her my price but I also told her that she could probably get more for it if she fixed the cable and got it running. She was in the process of moving and said she just wanted to get rid of it.

Hope this helps,

Mike