Tiller Problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by duke3522, Mar 22, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

I got my troy bilt 1992 pony out after having let it sit in the barn for a couple of years due to DW’s illness. I changed the oil, air filter, and throttle cable, but was still not able to get it started. Tried about everything that my BIL and I could come up with, but it wouldn’t start and was popping in all the wrong places. BIL said it might be a valve so we pulled the head and the exhaust valve will open when it is suppose to, but it will not close except when I tap it with a rubber mallet. Then we oiled it and continued to turn the engine but it just won’t close. Our best guess is a valve spring. I have not tried this repair before and any advice or comments are very welcome.

Thanks
    Duke

2. Herb.

Herb. Well-Known Member

You might try compressing the valve spring and spray penetraiting oil under the valve, let it set for an hour or so then compress the valve several times to see if it has freed up. To take out the valve you have to compress the spring while keeping the valve in the closed position (sit the head on a flat surface with a wadded up rag under the valve) then remove the valve spring keepers, this will allow you to remove the spring and the valve, look at the valve face and seat for any build up it should be clean and bright, if it isn't you will have to clean it and lap the valve in so it will probably seat in the head, the problem may be the valve stem, this can be cleaned with penetrating oil and very very fine steelwool, you don't want to take any metal off of the stem just clean it good, and put a little oil on the stem before reassembly.

3. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

I will give that a try and report back.

Duke

4. Big country

Big country Well-Known Member

Just keep taping it closed, spray with pen. oil, turn the engine over , tap closed, Repet. It should eventually break loose.

5. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

BC, you sound like you're good at reving up an old engine.
    I like a man who is good with his hands. ;)

6. Big country

Big country Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a tuneup! :eek:

7. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

Sigh, I agree.
    I thought I was going to get one from this great mechanic who seemed interested, but when I approached him more seriously, he backed off and started looking under someone else's hood. :(