Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to start another month! The tips given here each month are a huge help to those of us trying to stretch a dollar. Keep up the good work!! :)

Now is the time to winterize your house. A little caulk here & a little insulation there can make a big difference in your heat bill.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
We just got done with some landscaping & I couldn't remember if I had a door wreath or not, but found one where we store things under our stairs. With a little more ribbon that I had & fluffing out the old leaves made it look great. Also have been needing a new litter box, but we had a spare of those as well, so I'm going to make the cats use it.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just called a local tool rental shop to inquire on renting an orbital floor sander this weekend. I was quoted $55/day with a $125 deposit from all the big box stores. I called a local shop and the guy said to pick it up Friday and we can have it until 9a on Monday for $40, no deposit and he'll throw in a few extra sanding pads in different grits for free!

Woooooo! Support your small businesses and they'll support you!

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Don't forget to run fuel stabilizer in your garden equipment before storing it away for the winter. I also bring my riding mower battery into the house for storage to help it last longer. Don't know if this is true or not...but my neighbor says "Never place your battery on a concrete surface."
And unhook hoses from outdoor taps. And turn off water to the outdoor taps if you won't need them.
Spray Wd40 on double end snaps and gate hooks for easy opening in the freezing weather.

While looking for something in the freezer last night I discovered I have all the makings for chicken tortilla soup. So I will toss all of that in the crock pot tomorrow AM and be good to go after work!

·
Registered
10 Posts
We are getting ready for winter around the Richardson household. We are moving our wood stove to the basement so we can heat the entire house more effectively. Hopefully we won't need any space heaters this year. When it was in the living room we still needed an electric heater for the bathroom and back bedroom. Also trying to use the basement for more livable space and not just for storage.

I'm also putting away extra food and water in case we have the cold, snowy winter they are predicting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
b Don't know if this is true or not...but my neighbor says "Never place your battery on a concrete surface."

This is true. it will suck the charge out of your battery in a really big hurry.

That said, if you let your battery sit for an extended period of time, regardless of what it is resting on, it will require a charge in order to function at peak performance, anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
For years I've been collecting handicapped/elderly equipment at auctions and garage sales plus I saved my late m-i-l's stuff. A bath bench cost me $1. Anyway with dh's crash landing yesterday I'm thankful I have this stuff. I raised the bath bench as high as it would go for dh to sit on to wash and shave. His mom's walker is a little short for dh, but its narrow enough to go thru the bathroom door and his larger one is not. For years I've been made fun of for buying this stuff, but when someone needs a cane, a walker or a bath seat they don't hesitate to call me! I also have a commode with transfer that's never been used. I got it originally as a prep to use with a sawdust bucket if our plumbing ever breaks again or in any shtf type situation. Of course, it also is potentially useful as an handicap commode the that it is.

I often get the comment that Medicare or insurance will pay for it, but really should I let Medicare pay $90 for something I could buy for $1 or so?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I agree Ann! When we sold the medical supplies from my mom's house they were some of the first things that went! We kept the canes, we have several other things plus a commode. I think it's a wise thing to do.

We are having a garage sale this weekend, I've made a huge effort to get rid of things we don't need. As I've gone through things though, I've found numerous items that I can use in one way or another! I am not an organized person but I'm using this time to get things put back where they belong for at least a little while!

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
Kristinemom..your post reminded me how easy it is to make a grapevine wreath to decorate for the season. You can even use natural things like pine cones in winter to decorate it.. Seashells in summer.. Acorns in fall. Add a pretty bow or even make a nice full one using baling twine.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
New here, I read all of Sept 2014 frugal thread, lots of great info.
I have a pressure canner that sat new in the box for about two years, I was afraid to use it. About five months ago I tried and haven't stopped. I started with chicken broth.
Our dog is allergic to grain. I buy what is called chicken trim at grocery store for him. I used to cook it, hence the broth. I have bought the trim before to grind for chicken meatballs, we would make a bunch and freeze for later use.
About three months ago our freezer broke we lost so much lots of meat, frozen berries and apples, a couple hams and turkeys. It was awful.
The good thing is I buy chicken trim for lots of things now it's so cheap here. The cheapest chicken is legs and thighs $1.59#, the trim is .99#. I also buy beef trim for $2.49# from butcher and beef bones makes great stock, soup and stew. The benefit is also I can the dogs food veggies with broth and a little meat.
Meat here is so expensive $3.99# ground beef 85/15, one package in two months. I found Swai a decent fish for $2.99#. The only reason I bought the hamburger it was marked down for quick sale, same with chicken if it isn't marked down won't buy it. A regular chicken whole is around $10.00, $3.00 off is workable. Yes I would love a steak but not at the current prices. When Turkeys and Hams go on sale I'll buy extra and can.
Thank goodness we have a garden.
I don't want another freezer loosing all that meat and stuff about put me over the edge, but more frugal and grateful for what I do have.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I'm glad to hear that medical supplies are selling and very smart to buy it.

I used to help liquidate estates (personal property) and there would always be medical supplies, some with the brochures still attached and had never been used. We could usually sell walkers to the local nursing homes, but other things simply would not sell. When we would try to interest people, they would always say 'Medicare will pay for that.'

When my Mother worked for one of the first 'poverty programs' under Pres. Johnson, they issued the medical equipment. It all had the metal identification tag from the government and was expected to be returned when no longer needed. I don't know why they don't do that now - it would save a ton of money.

Just thinking --

Also, I think I will begin looking for a walker and few other things---I'm glad to be reminded.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I think the local VFW has a loan program for medical equipment. Veterans always have first dibs which is only right.

Dh's and m-i-l's walkers and "grabbers" were paid for by insurance companies before either was on Medicare. Everything else we've bought at auctions or garage sales. We have 4 or 5 canes and I think all except one were gifts. The only new items we've purchased are bed and chair pads after dh's prostate surgery. I'm thinking a few more of those would be a good prep, but they are expensive. I'm considering buying a box of the disposable pads. Two items I've not found are crutches and a wheelchair. Any I've seen were either trashed or too expensive. My m-i-l's wheelchair was plumb worn out as she lived in it for 6 years.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
LOL Jigmaster63! Me too! Old habits do die hard.

Bigd-bigm, what is a battery tender? Is it a trickle charger? I bought a new 5500 watt generator at an auction and although it works great and starts easily with the pull cord, it has a battery and electric start (push button). But the battery is drained and I have to use the cord. My neighbor said its made to use with a trickle charger for long term storage.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
I'm glad to read through this thread about the medical supplies!
It never hurts to have a cane and since DD's new rent house only has one bathroom and she has 3 kids, I think I'll try to find a portable potty she can put in the laundry room for emergencies. That's much cheaper and easier to buy than a camp or compost toilet.

BTW - I've seen crutches and wheel chairs at the GW here in the town where I work, but that's likely because this is a University town and students get rid of things like that when they move. Lots of athletes here, so I'm not surprised to see crutches at the Thrift stores. If you're looking for those type of things and you don't have a College near you, maybe you could have a friend or family member who frequents thrift stores in a College town to keep an eye out for you.

DGD gave me an African violet for Grandparents day at her school Tuesday night. Now I have a free flower to pot up for my kitchen window. I forgot to get potting soil last night, so I need to remember that this evening.

I've bought rain and snow boots for the grandkids and for DH and myself at the thrift store. I usually only have to pay $2 for them. I was able to find some really cute rainboots for the girls a few months back. I keep a pair for each of them at our house, since I don't want them getting muck and mud on their good shoes when they come out to visit.

I remembered I had leftover chili in the fridge, so I bought some corn chips and cheese last night at the store. DH loves Frito-Chili pie and that will make a quick and simple meal for tonight.
I've also added leftover chili to spaghetti sauce before and it's quite good. I hate wasting anything, so I try to think out of the box when it comes to leftovers.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I ordered Therm-Flo from Kauffman's Fruit Farm & Market and used a shipping coupon I found with a search on the site ..

I got a medium sized bag and with shipping and the coupon the total was only $13.03...The order was processed on 9/30 and should be here by the weekend ...

http://www.kauffmansfruitfarm.com/Therm-Flo/item/396122

I watch a woman on YouTube by the name of imstillworking ..

She has a video on there about using the Clear Jell...and in it mentions that she intends on trying the Therm-Flo because it can be used both for canning as well as freezing safely..

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe0klG7_fJY&list=UUPt5uAXcHkIlonoB5wN5exg[/ame]

After investigating both I decided to get the Therm-Flo since it is dual purpose ....

I intend on using this for pie fillings I am canning as well as for pot pie fillings when I freeze already made pot pies for later meals

This woman is a wealth of info for not only those who have been canning for years but defiantly for those who are just starting out..

She has some awesome recipes and many things she has canned that you wouldn't think of ..

Just click on videos and you will find all she has posted to date ......

Kauffman's also has cheddar cheese powder that is said to be almost like the stuff by Kraft,,

http://www.kauffmansfruitfarm.com/Cheddar-Cheese-Powder/item/276069

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
went to the local thrift store on our errand day in town. picked up 2 super-sized nerf dart guns. the lady at the counter said they had just been put out that day. they were $2 and $3. they worked but needed darts (which we have some already at home). dh looked online for prices and found $80 and $340. sheesh I didn't even know they sold and people would buy toy dart guns for that kind of money :) my kids were super excited.

1 - 20 of 407 Posts