Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 245 Posts
Trying for a queen-sized quilt. My squares are 7.5" (hence the ADULT jeans, so I can get that big a square out of the legs) and I figure I need 224 for the quilt. 14 squares across, 16 squares tall. I may need to go 18 squares tall, but I have a hard time imagining things I can't see - will make it up and add if needed.

I don't make it proper now so it's not teeeechnically Worcestershire, but it's basically the same flavour only way cheaper and more home-y.

750g green apples
225g sugar
60g garlic
1 tsp chilli
1 tsp cloves
25g salt
1 tsp peppercorns
25g ginger
2.6L brown vinegar
500g treacle [I use honey]

Boil everything except honey/treacle in a pot for two hours and strain. Add treacle/honey and boil 10 minutes. Allow 3 weeks to mature. Shake before using. :)

Hilariously, both recipes you asked for are from the handbook for the country association I'm a member of.

Marilyn: I would hope, but few of my girlfriends are very...homesteady. Most of them think I have lost my mind.

Me: I will be in the kitchen all day today, canning all these extra tomatoes.
(different) friend: isn't that what the garbage disposal is for? extra food?

LOL! Oh my! That's what the garbage disposal is for! People amaze me. I know I make entire meals out of what other people would throw away in the garbage disposal. Anyway I don't have a disposal (or trash pick up). I have chickens and dogs. Keep up the good work Prov31Wife.

^EVERY housemate I've ever had...oh man! Either they throw away perfectly good chicken scraps or they chicken scrap perfectly edible food. I've stolen whole batches of capsicum [bell pepper] because one had a spot on it or I've gotten kilos of tomatoes because the skin was wrinkly. Are you serious? Aaaaand my family has more canned tomatoes. It's like nobody knows the value of a slightly wilted veggie.

Jan, can you turn part of the gloves inside out? the inside out ones will then be left handed
Gosh, I never thought of that! I buy those brown cotton jersey gloves for DH and I actually bought dozens of pairs for 25cents a pair a couple of years ago. Even so, I've been wearing them since he can't help around the farm anymore. And I wear out the right thumb on every pair I have. Its the double end snaps on water buckets and gate chains. Sure I can turn them inside out! I've been wearing a left hand glove on my right hand. Thanks!

I

Hilariously, both recipes you asked for are from the handbook for the country association I'm a member of.
Id be incredibly happy if you could post more of this handbook. You have an entirely different set of recipes than we are familiar with, probably because you are on the other side of the world!
What else do you have to share with us ;)

Spiced Apple Jelly; Jelly Made with Vinegar [SUPER nommy: I was suspicious on it the first time I made it too - but we went through four jars in a week!!]:

oooo...thank you so much for this recipe! But I have a question; do you subsequently can it in jars? or freeze it? Or does it last that long before being eaten? ;)

Spiced Apple Jelly; Jelly Made with Vinegar [SUPER nommy: I was suspicious on it the first time I made it too - but we went through four jars in a week!!]:

apples
vinegar
1 stick cinammon
a few cloves
ground ginger
sugar

I know, right? No measurements. Anyway, cut up all the apples roughly, as many as you have. Cover 3 parts vinegar 1 part water until JUST covered. Simmer until super soft. Strain in colander/muslin bag/sack/kangaroo pouch until it's a nice clear golden liquid. Measure juice, add spices, boil 15. Strain [aka fish out spices], add 3/4c sugar for each c liquid. Boil until jelly!

SO good with cheese on crackers. So good in tiny spoonfuls by itself.
Did anyone else catch that? Kangaroo Pouch! :hysterical::pound::rotfl:

Thank you so much for the laugh. I thoroughly enjoy your posts.

Notbutanapron, so many people only ever see a fruit or veggie in thier grocery store. As you and I know, from seeing apples on the tree and carrots pulled from the ground, not everything is perfect. I think most of the public is throwing away good food everyday. So sad.

[FONT=&quot]notbutanapron: I have a couple of questions, first do you mean green apples as in unripe ones or Granny Smith apples? Also do you use fresh ginger and what is "brown vinegar"? OK, I am sure you can tell I have never done anything close to this but love making my own staples for cooking as I really don't like using stuff to cook with that I can't pronounce but sometimes you just have to but this will be more thing to tuck into the cabinet along with my hot chocolate, fancy coffee and soup mixes and biscuit mix. Sometimes I am not sure they are cheaper but I do know what is in them.[/FONT]

For the denim quilts -- do you have any idea how heavy a denim quilt is???? Queen or king size will probably require a fork lift to move!!

I stopped at Tops today because they had a cereal sale and I had coupons for each. The deal was 4/$10- which isn't good in and of itself, but for every 4 you get 200 gas points (equals .20$/gallon off). They allow up to 30 gallons per fill up. Tops doubles the coupons up to .99, and I had some .75 in addition to .50 and $1 off each.
I got 8 boxes, had coupons for each one. $9 off 8 boxes. Add the .40$ gallon off 30 gallons- when I fill up the gas cans- that equals another $12 off. ETA: gas was $3.83 today
Love it!!!

I also found Jimmy Dean and Bob Evans sausage, 1 lb package and 12 oz links, on 'yellow tag'- meaning the are about to expire so they are on sale. It's usually 30-50% off, but today someone marked them down to .86$. Yahooo!!!

11 one pound packages and 9 twelve oz link packages for a total of $17.20
Then one precooked 8 oz for .66.

A fairly good deal if you ask me! Hahaha

Whoa! I wasn't expecting this! :D

Id be incredibly happy if you could post more of this handbook. You have an entirely different set of recipes than we are familiar with, probably because you are on the other side of the world!
What else do you have to share with us ;)
I will do that as soon as I can :) I have a few books here with fun recipes. I hope you don't mind the metric! :D Very nice, I feel all important.

oooo...thank you so much for this recipe! But I have a question; do you subsequently can it in jars? or freeze it? Or does it last that long before being eaten? ;)
Oh sorry! Can it. I'll get the processing times for you, but it's not long. ten or fifteen in the bath or so, I think. It's very nice though, I just made more and some didn't set and the vinegary sweetness was amazing on yogurt with some chopped fruit. [First time it's NEVER set!]

Did anyone else catch that? Kangaroo Pouch! :hysterical::pound::rotfl:

Thank you so much for the laugh. I thoroughly enjoy your posts.
No worries! Make sure you use a clean kangaroo pouch. Learned that one the hard way.

Notbutanapron, so many people only ever see a fruit or veggie in thier grocery store. As you and I know, from seeing apples on the tree and carrots pulled from the ground, not everything is perfect. I think most of the public is throwing away good food everyday. So sad.
I know, it's so depressing :(

[FONT=&quot]notbutanapron: I have a couple of questions, first do you mean green apples as in unripe ones or Granny Smith apples? Also do you use fresh ginger and what is "brown vinegar"? OK, I am sure you can tell I have never done anything close to this but love making my own staples for cooking as I really don't like using stuff to cook with that I can't pronounce but sometimes you just have to but this will be more thing to tuck into the cabinet along with my hot chocolate, fancy coffee and soup mixes and biscuit mix. Sometimes I am not sure they are cheaper but I do know what is in them.[/FONT]
Granny Smith or any green variety. We have about 5-6 green varieties here. brown vingar is brown vinegar. I'd use apple cider or normal vinegar.. the PH is the same. Use treacle for honey if using light vinegar because you want the depth of flavour somewhere.

....you make fancy coffees???

Ann-NWIowa - nope, never had/made a denim quilt but I figured it'd be heavy. It's not going to have batting & I thought i'd just put flannel on the back of each square & that'd be the backing. Still should be pretty heavy though, which is fine by me (and my son who's going to get it). I think queen-size is pretty ambitious, but I'll do most anything once. I don't think I'd go bigger than queen though.

A queen sized denim quilt (IMO) would be uncomfortable to sleep under. I made a twin bed sized one for my grandson a few years back that way too heavy for him to lift. No batting, flannel backing.

My Mom made a denim quilt for my dh years ago when she was living in a small travel trailer in AZ during the winter. She laid it out on a sheet on the ground and sewed the entire thing by hand. Using back portions of jeans with the pocket. Didn't quilt it, but tied and used just flannel on the back. Yes, it is heavy, but my gs loved sleeping under it when he came to visit. I can only imagine how sore her hands must have been!

Granny Smith or any green variety. We have about 5-6 green varieties here. brown vingar is brown vinegar. I'd use apple cider or normal vinegar.. the PH is the same. Use treacle for honey if using light vinegar because you want the depth of flavour somewhere.

....you make fancy coffees???
Fancy coffee is easy to make and they keep just fine in a jar with a tight fitting lid. I think someone posted a bunch in the "Recipe Forum" section on the recipes in a jar section but if they aren't there I'll dig mine out and post them here. Fancy coffees cost so much and they are so easy to make the mixes and just have them whenever you want.

41 - 60 of 245 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.