Homesteading Forum banner
241 - 245 of 245 Posts
I made the swiss steak mentioned earlier, in the pressure cooker. It turned out great! Allowed me to use up some bell peppers I had and use some less expensive round steak. It will become a regular meal idea around our house.

I bought some marked down rolls at ***mart the other day, then had them with dinner a couple of times, used them for roast beef sandwiches (so good!) at lunch time. Then noticed they wouldn't last much longer in my bread box, so took the last three rolls that had gotten a little hard and cubed them and made bread pudding! That 1.59 stretched really far : ) And I think stale crusty rolls make the best bread pudding ever. Since the rolls were super cheap, and I've got lots of farm eggs, lots of goats milk, even homemade vanilla, the bread pudding costs me not much more than my time. I do alot of homemade yogurt, baked custard, rice pudding, bread pudding, devilled eggs etc. Anything that is reasonably healthy, fills us up, keeps well and is made from all ready on hand items.

I saved some seeds from Bell Peppers that I bought at the store. I'm going to try my hand at raising them. They are getting way to expensive to buy!
I've managed to remember to bring my lunch everyday this week! I have to sit my empty cooler next to my purse, or on the kitchen counter, but at least I've remembered and saved money on lunch.
I'm downsizing/decluttering my closet. I want to get rid of things I don't wear anymore and I've read the challenges of others on-line about only keeping a certain number of clothes. One lady only keeps 33 articles of clothing - not including underwear.
I've decided instead of picking a number, I'm just going to keep the clothes I wear within 6 mos. to a year. I have a few dresses & suits I only wear for formal occasions, such as weddings, galas, etc. I don't want to get rid of them just because I don't wear them "often". However, I have decided that I don't need more clothes than will fit on my side of our walk-in closet.
I've managed to keep the thermostat at a comfortable 69 degrees during the evening and DH turns it down to 68 when he leaves for work. We have two small chiquaquas that are inside dogs and I don't want them to get too chilled during the winter weather. Fortunately we've had some really warm days, so the heat never kicks on during those afternoons.
Food savings:
I've quit buying chips, unless we're having sandwiches for dinner or the grandkids are spending the night. It keeps me from snacking on them and saves money on food.
One of DH's co-workers gave him a bag full of frozen deer meat and fish. It's been awesome to use that instead of buying meat at the store.
I've saved alot of money by eliminating snack food from the grocery list.
Our neighbor gave me a dozen eggs the other night. Yay - I love free range eggs!
I keep a pitcher of water in the fridge, along with a pitcher of tea and I no longer buy juice at the store. That saves at least $5 per week and eliminates calories for me. I've decided if/when I do buy juice when we have company, I will buy it frozen, since that's pretty cheap.

Every penny helps!!

Glad the Swiss Steak was a hit ..
It is a every other month meal for us with left overs for my lunch at work ...
Is one of a few that my dear daughter insists on often ..
She is asking for Momma's Spaghetti so that will be this weekend ..
Am going to do the sauce in the crock pot this time instead of stove top to save on the gas bill and in time and "pot watching " all day ..
She is also asking for my French Onion Soup again but is requesting real swiss cheese so that will be on the grocery list when we do our monthly shopping ..

I was craving pudding tonight, so I bit the bullet & tried a homemade recipe. Oh my, I don't know why I didn't make it sooner! It doesn't have eggs, so it's quite easy:)
I also made homemade yogurt this week using the hot pad method. EZ peasy! Oh, & I pulled my kefir grains out of the fridge & will start having kefir in the house again.

Trying to cut down on buying chips, too; but hubby takes a baggie full every day in his lunch. I will keep putting them in serving size baggie ahead of time, tho. so DS doesn't overindulge in them;) I have also stopped buying juice, DS (Again) was drinking way too much, a mugful at 2 meals.

241 - 245 of 245 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.