Tigger melons

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jen74145, Dec 19, 2006.

1. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Anybody ever grown 'em before? :shrug: Thinking of giving them a try this year, any thoughts on 'em? Good, bad, indifferent?

2. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Jen74145;They are Really BLAND-but they're pretty.They are basically an Asian pickleing melon.The vines are really productive though.-

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Cute but tasteless!

4. jen74145

Oh, I am SO glad I asked! *sigh* they did look nifty, tho...
    Thank you both!

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Interesting that there are two similar votes against it. Jere uses it as his forum "signature" fruit at Baker Creek and raves about it in the variety description. SSE in turn raves about Baker Creek having introduced such a great thing! Phony company hype or a seed mix-up? Bland or pickling type sounds more like one of the Asian bitter melons. Those, I can also attest to being bland as a Hmong gardener grew it in our complex in 2005 while 2 Indians grew it in 2006.

Martin

6. mammabooh

Well, I've noticed that the description in the Baker Creek says they "get sweeter in hot weather"...but it doesn't say anything about it being any good to begin with!

In case anyone is wondering, the Mexican Cucumbers are pretty nasty too.

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

8. mammabooh

No problem...I hate wasting gardening space, no matter how big my garden is!

9. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

Y'all!! I just received my Baker Creek order today, and I ordered the Mexican cucumbers!! Someone I know said she liked them, had them in chunky hot sauce, and liked the taste. She wanted me to order some seed and grow a few plants for her. If she doesn't like them, she's going to be wearing them!

I haven't grown the Tigger melon, but did fall for the 'garden peach' or 'vine peach' or whatever it was called, years ago... revolting taste.

10. mammabooh

Well, they might be fine if they're IN something. By themselves, though...ICK!

11. jen74145

Yeah, Baker makes me a bit nervous... every description of every veggie says it's some exceptional, really unique plant... at least some have to be sub-par, right?
    Anything else I should stay the heck away from?

12. mammabooh

I don't know what to tell you. Everything else I grew was just fine (except for the melons, but I've NEVER had good luck growing melons here). Just REALLY make sure you're not reading into the description what you want it to say. "Gorgeous", "Aromatic", and "Highly-productive" are not necessarily synonyms with "Yummy"!

13. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Instead of what they say about a plant think of what they don't say...for instance, Cleome has been in the catalogs lately with a "newer" variety...they never mention fragrance 'cause these things stink! Look great in the back of the garden row though and ours freely reseed...but don't you be picking a bouquet for your house! I always look for words like love hot weather or reseed readily or delicious flavor...although even that is pretty subjective. Kinda like your mama told you if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all! DEE

14. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

We grew them last year. Productive. Taste was bland but not horrible. They did smell yummy. I sold one at our market and it was to a lady from India, I believe. She bought it due to homesickness. She said they grew them where she was from.

The chickens liked them!

15. Nyx

Nyx Misplaced Appalachian

Oh, thank you! I had a patch of cleome years ago, but left the plants behind when I moved and didn't remember what they were. (I always called them 'skunk plant'... :rolleyes: ) When you mentioned the smell, I looked them up and that's what they were! Yay! Now...I'm temped to pot up some since I don't have the outdoor room for 'em...roommates beware. :D

16. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I am glad to know this. I thought it was just my gardening.