Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had 10 young guineas they escaped and are gone! so what can i put on the ground for the ticks?

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
busybee870 said:
i had 10 young guineas they escaped and are gone! so what can i put on the ground for the ticks?
Hey, you could spread poison out for hundreds of yards in every direction and kill every living thing. You could also use a flamethrower to light a cigar.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Good luck with that. When you find out, let me know :)

We did find that after we burned off our lot (thatch was about 25 years thick -- we couldn't even open up the doors on the machine shop it was so deep) that the tick count went WAAAY down -- but they were back as soon as the vegetation came back.

I'm getting guineas in the spring. It's the only thing I've heard consistently will lower the tick population -- and I'll do ANYTHING to lower the tick population around here!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
the best way to lower the tick population is to prevent them from feeding in my opinion. if the info I ran across is correct, they must get a blood meal soon after hatching or they croak. the vets carry a collar just for ticks that proved quite effective when I had a nightmare tick problem surrounding the dogs one year (a problem that quickly turned into more than a dog problem when I tried to take care of the problem with conventional dips and flea/tick collars and sprays and "shoulder drops").

finding something to spray that won't possibly hurt your chickens is next to impossible. ticks are really tough creatures anything that would kill them I wouldn't want my chickens around. if the problem is on livestock or dogs I would find something that will take care of the ticks on them and then let the population slowly dwindle.

if the problem is already as extensive as mine was, lock your chickens up for a few months and resort to pesticides, which I had to do because there was already an out of control adult population and I'm not talking about a few annoying picking things off the dogs I'm talking about my daughter waking up with several on her every day and hundreds on the dogs that would not drop off after being sprayed repeatedly for das with Adams, and every corner of the house having a cluster in them. some hatched in the laundry roomand at first I thought someone had spilled a bag of pebbles or something until I realized they were all moving and were crawling up the walls. insert shudder here. up until late january would still find them in the house albeit very sickly. now they all get a collar in the spring and that seems to keep it under control, and thankfully I haven't had to use any other pesticides for 2 years.

and yeah it would be silly to use a flame thrower to light a cigar, but it wouldn't be to fend off a pride of lions. if there is something out there that will kill ticks only great. if there isn't you have to do what you have to do. nasty critters.

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
For ticks and fleas around the house mowing the grass low and rotate spraying Malathion and diazinon always worked for me.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
We mowed all grass really short and then let the chickens have the run of the place. and in one season the tick problem is nil except where the chickens don't go.
We used Pesticides when we first moved in and it killed everything except the ticks and bad bugs. Get some more chickens and let them free range. We now gripw about the poo but not about ticks.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
DQ said:
the best way to lower the tick population is to prevent them from feeding in my opinion. if the info I ran across is correct, they must get a blood meal soon after hatching or they croak. the vets carry a collar just for ticks that proved quite effective when I had a nightmare tick problem surrounding the dogs one year (a problem that quickly turned into more than a dog problem when I tried to take care of the problem with conventional dips and flea/tick collars and sprays and "shoulder drops").
Put tick collars on your chickens? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
Once we got fire ants we got rid of all the ticks... dunno if it was worth it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
if the problem is already as extensive as mine was, lock your chickens up for a few months and resort to pesticides, which I had to do because there was already an out of control adult population and I'm not talking about a few annoying picking things off the dogs I'm talking about my daughter waking up with several on her every day and hundreds on the dogs that would not drop off after being sprayed repeatedly for das with Adams, and every corner of the house having a cluster in them. some hatched in the laundry roomand at first I thought someone had spilled a bag of pebbles or something until I realized they were all moving and were crawling up the walls. insert shudder here. up until late january would still find them in the house albeit very sickly. now they all get a collar in the spring and that seems to keep it under control, and thankfully I haven't had to use any other pesticides for 2 years.
That sounds exactly like what we went through 2 years ago! Gross! Nasty! The problem took on a life of its own. I still shudder to think about our poor dogs; they looked like mutants they had so many. We ended up having to use pesticides, too, but there was really no other choice. It was a horrendous problem!

We had never had much trouble with ticks before then, and thankfully, haven't had any since. But wow-ee, that was a nasty season! <shudder>

Once we got fire ants we got rid of all the ticks...
That's absolutely right. We have a friend who has an exterminating business and that's what he told us, too. In fact, he suggests capturing fire ants in a jar, put the jar of ants in the freezer for a few days, take a couple out and mix into a dab of peanut butter and feed it to the dogs every few days to keep the dogs tick-free. He really swears by it and it isn't supposed to harm the dogs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.