Ticks!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by donsgal, Jun 5, 2006.

1. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Well, today we went over to the homestead in preparation for hauling the mobile over tomorrow and in less than 10 minutes from the time my feet hit the ground I brushed off no less than 12 ticks! LOL Big ones, little ones, itty bitty ones... all headed up my leg for paydirt!

They are really bad in the tall grass, not so bad in the stuff we mow regularly.

I had to pry one off of dh's back when we got home. Luckily, it hadn't been there too long and was easy to remove.

Gotta love Missouri this time of year. Boy, do I feel sorry for the deer, bunnies and other assorted red blooded tick-dinners out there in the woods.

donsgal

2. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

My wife and I grew up in central - western MI and have never even seen a tick before (we're both outdoors people). Moved up to Marquette County in MI's U.P. a month ago and they're everywhere! Even woke up one morning last week with a wood tick crawling up my side!!! I'm assuming that one came inside with the dog.
    Definitely plan on a couple of the whatchamacallit birds (that eat ticks) once we buy our property. I remember it starts with a "G"............ man I must be tired.

3. FourDeuce

FourDeuce Five of Seven Supporter

I try to deal with them when I see them instead of just brushing them off. Brushing them off just leaves them around to have to deal with them later, so I try to take care of them in one way or another. I know there are a lot more of them than I can get rid of, but everyone I can get rid of now is one less I'll have to worry about later.

4. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

I work outside and I just hate the critters. Had rather play with a snake anytime. If you pull one off make a note on the calendar as gestation period for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is 7 to 10 days. Then there is Lymes Disease which can produce chronic problems. When I go berry picking I just stop by the kerosene or diesel tank and wet fingers lightly and rub the cuffs and waist band. Most of the time I never get a tick or red bug(chigger). Taking a good hot shower immediately when getting in helps also. Note-wash your hands good before picking fruit as the oil smell will contaminate it easily.

5. heidith

heidith Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    Those birds would be Guinea Hens and they LOVE ticks!! We have tons of ticks here in NY and my Guineas, and my chickens for that matter, eat them. Be careful - four of the five members of my family have had Lyme Disease and it's nasty!!
    Heidi in NY

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Donsgal: I must be naturally immune. In 7 years of going to Missouri and being in the woods and high grass, I have only had one tick and Jon has had 2 I think.
    Maybe we just lucked out. We hardly even have skeeters in the summer time.Lots of butterflies this year...zillions of them. :)

7. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Maybe you don't taste good lol

donsgal

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Gads I pulled 2 deer ticks off me today!!!!!!!!! I HATE ticks; they're disgusting. This year is the worst ever. We've never sprayed anything on this property but I finally broke down and bought some stuff to spray in our front yard and down by the dock at the pond.

Donsgal you might consider spraying the area you're moving your mobile home to so you can greatly reduce the possibility of bringing ticks into your home.

Guineas! Why didn't I get any yet?!?

9. Guinea mama

Guinea mama Well-Known Member

Shepherd, sounds like you need to get yourself some guineas. Our yard is tick free thanks to our guineas. And we used to have them bad too. The deer tick is extremely bad this year, when we go walking in the woods with the dogs they pick them up big time, so have the kids. Our yard is tick free though and the kids love to go play on the swingset without worrying about ticks like we used too. Where you at in Iowa?

10. Guinea mama

Guinea mama Well-Known Member

Oh and Sheperd, I have keets available if you are near SE Iowa.